Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2004, 07:32 PM

Default Super System and SnGs

I was reading some Super System today, and I realized that it contradicts the way it seems most posters play as well as myself.

I realize that it is designed more for ring games, but I just wanted some thoughts.

How often do you play low suited connectors in SnGs?

Early, I'm playing extremely tight and folding 87s, and when it's down to 5 or less, I prefer A5o to 76s. But suited connectors are Brunson's favorite hand. He plays and often raises preflop with them.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Oh.. but I have found one instance when playing like Brunson has helped. We were down to four, and I was basically raising with anything as the chip leader. One time I got caught and got re-raised for all his chips with 83o, but the pot odds made it about an even deal in by my estimation(I know that if I was gonna call a reraise, I should've just gone all in but I often was getting just called and then picking up the pot on the flop.)
Anyways, I turned over the 83o and was against something like ATo, and I won the pot.

From then on, nobody tried to steal my blind or catch me on a bluff because they thought I would call with anything. They were scared. I easily won the tourney with the last two players giving me my blinds back and usually letting me have theirs.

I don't usually play as recklessly as I did there, but it did work that once.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Super System and SnGs

I was doing real well at $10 SNGs, my friend bought Super System and I read it. My game went downhill, I found myself calling suited connectors and low pp in EP and in LP to a 2 bb raise just in hopes of catching something huge. Before I knew it, my ROI was almost non-existant. I cleaned up my game and stopped doing all of that, and now my ROI is 45% since I changed my game and eliminated suited connectors and low pocket pairs for the most part. I don't think that stuff really applies that well to SNGs when chips have so much value.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:49 PM

I believe there are times you can loosen up and play some suited connectors. ie. UTG limps 2 other ppl call and your on the button with 87 suited. You would be nuts not to try and see a flop. With that being said I wouldn't go cold callin' any raises with that hand unless you are going to try and make a play on someone.
Old 07-01-2004, 02:47 AM

Doyle's advice is for ring games, not tourneys, and it's for playing against good players with deep stacks, not for bad players with short stacks (relative to blinds).

--Greg
Old 07-01-2004, 03:05 AM

System is designed for an deep, if not theoretically unlimited bankroll. Notice that in the NL section he mentions how often he busts out with his first buy-in establishing his aggressiveness and table image. He likes to play his suited connectors against big cards. Of course, he'll miss the flop most of the time, but he can bust someone if he hits it. You can't play that way in SnGs.

In a ring game, especially with Doyle's roll, you can always reach for more money. You can't in tournament play.