Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 05:55 PM

Default pocket 6\'s; 8,8,2, board

Blinds 25/50. I have 5000 chips, and limp in early with 66. A very loose player raises to 150, a solid player calls from the button, the blinds fold, and I call.

The flop is 882. I check to the PF raiser, who bets 200, button calls.

What do I do now?
Old 06-21-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: pocket 6\'s; 8,8,2, board

Why did you check the flop? That is a key question and before making a move you need to think that through. The only reasons to check this flop are to check-raise or to check-fold. You might very well have the best hand but the only way to find out is if you make a move for the pot. You can do that by either leading out for a bet or check-raising.

Against two opponents with pretty deep stacks I think I might check-raise for a couple of reasons. First, it's a strong move. Second, if the PF raiser bets and the button raises I get out cheaply. But here the PF bets (as expected) and the button calls. That's still a pretty strong move by the button. Twice now the button has not backed down to a show of strength by the PF raiser. I think I'd be inclined to just fold at this point. Had the button folded I'd raise. Even if he has an overpair he has to be somewhat concerned with the 8s on the board and I'm not putting him on an 8.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why did you check the flop? That is a key question and before making a move you need to think that through. The only reasons to check this flop are to check-raise or to check-fold. You might very well have the best hand but the only way to find out is if you make a move for the pot. You can do that by either leading out for a bet or check-raising.

Against two opponents with pretty deep stacks I think I might check-raise for a couple of reasons. First, it's a strong move. Second, if the PF raiser bets and the button raises I get out cheaply. But here the PF bets (as expected) and the button calls. That's still a pretty strong move by the button. Twice now the button has not backed down to a show of strength by the PF raiser. I think I'd be inclined to just fold at this point. Had the button folded I'd raise. Even if he has an overpair he has to be somewhat concerned with the 8s on the board and I'm not putting him on an 8.

[/ QUOTE ]

I checked because I wanted to see how the action developed behind me. If pf bet and button folded, I was going to re-raise. If button re-raised, I would fold. I hadn't made up my mind what I would do if he just called.

I knew the button didn't have an 8, but the pf raiser, being a maniac, might have. Still, I wasn't woried about that. I was concerned that one of them might have a bigger pair.

The thing is, since the pf raiser is a maniac, the button might just call because he figures his ace high is probably still good. I really didn't know what to put either of them on.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reasons to check this flop are to check-raise or to check-fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think it would a reasonable line to check-call one bet and plan on check-folding the turn. this kind of line works great against me, as i'll almost always fire one continuation bet and give up with a missed AK/AQ but keep firing an overpair.

however, once the button calls, i think it's an easy fold.

and fwiw, i would have c/r'ed the pfr'er and if i got called, try to check it down.