Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 05:07 AM

Default Please tell me what these agg. numbers mean

I am losing over my last 50K hands and i gotta beleive something is amiss. In my last 15K hands of 3/6 6max, i am 24.2/18.2, with SD stats of 34.5/53.
My agg numbers by street are 3.55, 3.29, 2.09 and a total of 3.12. This strikes me as absurdly high, but I'm not sure. Also, my folded to river bet is way too high IMO (47.8%). Any thoughts on what I may/may not be doing? I am at a loss here.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Please tell me what these agg. numbers mean

There are a lot of LAGs at 3/6. You need to give them room to hang themselves. You might be overplaying your overcards. Bet/folding the river too often with the wrong hands seems a likely suspect. The showdown stats you posted look solid. How did you run for the last 15k?
Old 11-24-2005, 06:33 AM

Sounds cliche, but post hands.

Consider getting a coach, even if he isn't a big name on the boards, just someone to have a look at your hands.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:49 AM

Your over aggressive, some players are as aggressive as you on the flop, I find it hard not to be aggressive on the flop, but slow down on the expensive turn.

Just think about your turn aggression when playing, see what you spot as chip spewing, then post some relevant hands.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:23 AM

this is the artist formerly known as pokerbob i assume??

i agree with post and/or read hands.
and that your aggression is just too high.

play fewer tables...read your opponents...not just their stats but pay attention to how they play in certain situations.
consider tsking a more passive role when you're in the lead and you feel you can induce bets by holding back.

just one thought.

i too have had some wild agg numbers in the past and have had to tone it down.
it's too easy to just bet and bet and bet with almost anything with the logic "i raised pre-flop...and i have folding equity on this guy here."
the trick is finding the spots where you just shouldn't be doing that of course.

I believe you were at 10/20 6-max not too long ago so playing at 3/6 indicates that your bankroll has been taking a hit and you might be playing a little bit scared too. this can throw one's judgement off.

either that...or you are experimenting around at 3/6 to try to improve your game? not sure.

while my other opinions may or may not be correct... I know of what I speak regarding the whole 'getting clobbered' and stepping-down situation as I too have stepped down from some occasional 10/20 (in Aug and Sept) to 5/10...and now in the past few days down to 3/6.

a 500+BB down-swing with some really crappy call-downs in there can really damage one's confidence. some not insignificant stress from the rapidly dwindling bankroll.

FWIW - I know that it's not just a bad-variance down-swing in my case. my game has leaks aplenty but I'm improving. And thankfully starting to get better cards as I'm +120BB's at 3/6 full over my last 3k hands.

And that's one potential recommendation:
The BBJ is quite high (and is +EV for both the jackpot itself AND for some of the crappy players populating the games).
So I've been playing some 3/6 full-ring (was playing some 5/10 before...but the bankroll preservation factor came into play).
I've found it to be quite helpful for my game to play where I can slow-down some and re-think the game a bit (since I haven't been playing much full-ring lately).

I still have some aggressive mind-set in there....but I'm folding some of the marginal stuff that I COULD justify chasing with. It's full-ring...there are more players in there. I don't have to ALWAYS chase down with my crap 'just in case I'm still good'.
That's my situation anyway.

With your river play you might have some different problems than me. Not betting the river when you have a chance to induce a fold perhaps??
Not checking through when last to act and running into another check-raise when the 3rd spade hit?
Not sure but you need to seriously analyze your river decisions of course.

Anyway...I feel my little stretch at the full-ring playing a semi-typical TAG 18/11 type of game has been beneficial in helping re-teach me how to slow the hell down a bit and I think that will help my 6-max game significantly when I return there.

good luck and hang in there and hopefully we'll both improve our games and get it turned around at the tables soon.
Old 11-24-2005, 08:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My agg numbers by street are 3.55, 3.29, 2.09 and a total of 3.12.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's really too aggressive. You probably don't need to bet less. You probably need to call more.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:34 AM

What? I thought you played 10/20 and [censored].
Old 11-25-2005, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What? I thought you played 10/20 and [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice the name [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 06:22 PM

Hi,

Sometimes when I am in a downswing I play what I call "angry" poker. It is not angry as maniacal but I basically am pushing hands where I shouldn't.

It always reminds me of Ray Zee's evolution article

[ QUOTE ]
Great plays come about by pushing marginal hands and making fantastic calls on the end through his ability to read hands. Poker is fun played this way. But no longer is the tight player inside the body. All hands start to look like they have value, and with skillful manipulation winning the pot is easy. He begins to believe that he can play bad hands for profit where in reality he can't. The player has taken a big step backward and a long leap forwards at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether you feel this is applicable to your situation but those agg numbers are certainly high.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi,

Sometimes when I am in a downswing I play what I call "angry" poker. It is not angry as maniacal but I basically am pushing hands where I shouldn't.

It always reminds me of Ray Zee's evolution article

[ QUOTE ]
Great plays come about by pushing marginal hands and making fantastic calls on the end through his ability to read hands. Poker is fun played this way. But no longer is the tight player inside the body. All hands start to look like they have value, and with skillful manipulation winning the pot is easy. He begins to believe that he can play bad hands for profit where in reality he can't. The player has taken a big step backward and a long leap forwards at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know whether you feel this is applicable to your situation but those agg numbers are certainly high.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is so true. Never read this before. I got to a point a couple months backpoint where I wanted to play literally everyhand I could against a retard. Im on the button against a MP limper and I want to raise K5o-K7o or J9o...etc.

Anyway, I really have to reign myself in sometimes. I will push whatever I can preflop (though I will still pop K7o sometimes).