Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2004, 08:40 PM

Default 15-30 66 hand

Loose and generally passive game. One EP limper, two MP limpers, and I limp in the CO with 6s6c (Should I have raised?). The SB surprisingly folds and the BB knocks.

Flop: Jh 3c 5h

Checked around to me, I bet, BB calls and one of the MP limpers calls as well. BB is a player who is very aggressive when he thinks he has the best hand but very passive otherwise. MP is a tight-aggressive tricky player.

Turn: Jh 3c 5h 8s

I bet, BB calls, MP folds.

River: Jh 3c 5h 8s 2d

I bet, BB calls.

Comments?
Old 09-18-2004, 08:55 PM

Default Re: 15-30 66 hand

Looks very routine. Which part of it are you unsure about?
Old 09-18-2004, 11:07 PM

I guess that the river bet is marginal at best here.

Do you think that he has a 3 or a 5 more often then he has a J? Do you think that having called the turn he'll fold something like 77 or 99? I don't think that you are better than 50% to have the winner, if called.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess that the river bet is marginal at best here.

Do you think that he has a 3 or a 5 more often then he has a J? Do you think that having called the turn he'll fold something like 77 or 99? I don't think that you are better than 50% to have the winner, if called.

[/ QUOTE ]

That alone is not a reason not to bet. If the opponent would bet when checked to with a pair of J's, but check behind with a weaker pair, Hero should bet. That said I think a flush draw is quite likely here so Hero should probably check to induce a bluff, unless the opponent is very loose-passive and capable of calling down with ace high, in which case he's giving up too much value.

EDIT: Against the opponent described, he should definitely bet.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:28 PM

Our opponent already checked the river, so it's kind of hard to induce a bluff from here [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2004, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Our opponent already checked the river, so it's kind of hard to induce a bluff from here [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly it is time for me to quit analyzing poker hands and go out drinking. That is the whole problem here. See ya guys tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:07 PM

I thought the two most questionable decisions were my preflop play and my river value bet.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:10 PM

I don't think there is anything questionable about the pre-flop play. I think calling is the best play with raising a distant second. If there had been only 1 weak limper with tight blinds, then consider raising.

For the river, I think betting is the right play as you'll be called by a worse hand often enough to justify it. It is much closer than the pre-flop decision though.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:10 PM

Default RESULTS

The BB turned over JTo. I was shocked that he took no aggressive action at any point during the hand. When I made that bet I was confident that he would call with a hand that I could beat (namely, any 5).

Not to be results-oriented, but I think Barry and Nate are right that the value bet on the river is very thin.