Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2004, 07:45 PM

Default question with pesky bettors

simple question

you're raising preflop. but the guy to your direct right looooves to bet into you when the board is kinda scary for your hand. you dont' really know much about his actual postflop play because he hasn't had to showdown his hand.

examples, i have KQs, but he bets into me on a ragged board

i have red jackes but he bets into me on a A high monotone board

it doesn't seem to matter the pot size or the amount of players, but he does it with frequency.

also half the times i've raised. the other times i've folded. but when i've raised with overcards or middle pair or whatever, he employs the stop n go on me.

what is your general strategy against this type of player? or is this too general and you would need specific hand examples?
Old 11-20-2004, 07:54 PM

Default Re: question with pesky bettors

[ QUOTE ]

what is your general strategy against this type of player? or is this too general and you would need specific hand examples?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much, but it seems to me that in general you'd want to call them down with lots of mediocre-good hands, like the JJ on the A-high board. Lots and lots of calling, let them keep bluffing or value betting their low pair or whatever. With KQs and rag flops, well that sucks and I have no idea, probably fold the turn, raise if you're actually sure they're doing this and you haven't just seen them flop second pair a bunch of times. I find that happens to me sometimes, I see someone get a bunch of similar hands in a row and not show them down and then think I can peg them but I can't.

Btw, just saw the incredibles, LOVED it.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:24 PM

Default Re: question with pesky bettors

[ QUOTE ]
you're raising preflop. but the guy to your direct right looooves to bet into you when the board is kinda scary for your hand. you dont' really know much about his actual postflop play because he hasn't had to showdown his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Change tables [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

[ QUOTE ]
but when i've raised with overcards or middle pair or whatever, he employs the stop n go on me.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the key to your answer:

1. There are no free cards. Therefore there can be no free card raises. Only made hands and strong draws can raise the flop.

2. Don't bother waiting until the turn to raise a good hand. You can raise the flop and the turn [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].

3. If you flopped a weak draw like overcards or a gutshot, count outs, check pot size, blah, blah, blah and then call or fold.

Naturally a hand like AK or middle pair can be considered to be either a made hand or a draw, depending on the circumstances. That's for you to decide. Which brings us to:

4. It is important to determine whether this player is usually betting 1) pairs, 2) pairs and valid draws, or 3) any two cards.

Also note a related species that checkcalls the flop and then bets any pair on the turn.