Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 10:40 PM

Default small blind raise

play with me here:

fairly tight/passive UB 1/2 kill table. There is not kill in this hand.

UTG + 1 limps, mp3 limps, CO limps, Hero is sb with AJo and raises[horrible?], and it gets called around.

did I have enough equity to raise into this many passives?
Old 08-31-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: small blind raise

This play is fine. You almost always have an equity edge in this position. The problem lies playing the hand OOP against several limpers. Some argue that it makes the hand easier not raising saying you need an Ace or Jack on the flop anyway. This is weak tight advice and against TPA players I make this raise 97% of the time.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:15 PM

flop comes

3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

checked around.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:20 PM

In a tight game I don't think that AJo has a huge equity edge to make up for playing it OOP. AJs might not even be enough. If you are raising PF though you need to lead this flop I think.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:32 PM

typically I do lead this flop, but making this play seems to be costing me money lately. I'd love to rep the Q here, but i'd getting raised with only 5.5 outs. I also figured I had a good shot at a free card here, since I had check/raised TPTK a couple of times already this session.

This street is what really throws me off about raising from the sb. I'm really bad at formulating a post-flop plan right now when I miss. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2005, 12:05 AM

That is why I think you don't raise here. Your preflop equity does not makeup for how difficult this is to play OOP postflop, especially in a situation like this. I think with this flop I'm leading, the UB games are pretty weak tight usually so I don't see you getting raised, and you still have outs if you do. BTW I'd post 1/2 hands in the micro forum you will get more responses.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:09 AM

It's not "weak tight advice" to call AJo from the SB. This situation has been debated a lot, and there are good arguments for calling and raising. A lot has to do with manipulating the size of the pot postflop. I'm a call guy.

I'm not sure why OP is talking about free cards when he's in the SB, either. This probably belongs in micro-limit.