Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Please recommend a good book.

Hi

I have read SSH by Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth with great interest. I have been a follower of the ideas in the book. Recently I moved up into a $ 1/2 table at Interpoker. I suppose what I meet there are the regular bonus hunters. Anyway, the WP$IP is as low as 18% at some of these tables. SHH have been my guide in my previous games. I am starting to feel that maybe the situation has changed some and that the SSH does not quite cover the situation I find myself in. Am I right about this?

I started thinking that I should maybe read a new book. I would like to build on the ideas of aggressive poker found in SSH.

Anyone want to offer any suggestions on what to read next?

I keep hearing good stuff about The Theory of Poker by Sklansky. What about Hold 'Em Poker by the same author?

Thanks!

Eeepus
Old 05-17-2005, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Please recommend a good book.

Hey man,

You sound new here, so I'll tell you what many others will tell you here:

-Read old posts for answers to questions
-Ask one question per post

As for your answers - if you're playing $1/$2 Limit poker, then SSH is probably above your head.

Theory of Poker, not specific to any one game, is must read material for any player, but maybe a bit much for you now as well.

Tell everyone if its Limit or NL, and how long you've been playing for - then people here can answer your questions.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:38 AM

Condescending and inaccurate in the same reply - way to go Jinx230!

[ QUOTE ]
As for your answers - if you're playing $1/$2 Limit poker, then SSH is probably above your head.

Theory of Poker, not specific to any one game, is must read material for any player, but maybe a bit much for you now as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the original poster, ignore the above garbage. The limits you play have no bearing on your understanding of the game or your ability to comprehend any of the books.

First of all, if you are sitting in games where the VPIP average is 18% then you need to be looking at your game selection. Chances are there are better games around, even on the smaller sites (if you'd been referring to a Party Skin then I could undoubtedly advise that there are better games around).

As for your questions on books, Theory of Poker is a must read but it may not be what you are expecting at present. It covers many key concepts which will help you improve your game but its not a 'how to' book in the same sense as SSHE. As the previous reply did point out, it also includes examples from games such as 7 Card Stud and Razz which is one reason why its a tougher read than most poker books. This is not to say that its beyond you by any means, but it helps if you are at least aware of the rules of these games.

Hold'em Poker by Sklansky is a beginner level book (it was the first book specifically on Hold'em and the current version is a reprint of the original 1976 book with updates shown as footnotes) and is likely not an essential read for you if you've worked through SSHE.

The best book for you right now is probably Hold'em Poker For Advanced Players ("HPFAP") by Sklansky and Malmuth (you may have meant this in your original post as the two are often confused) which will build on your reading in SSHE and assumes you are up against better players and tougher games than SSHE. It pre-dates SSHE but the advice within it is still very relevant and is undoubtedly a 'must read'.

I think you'd probably benefit from reading HPFAP before Theory of Poker, although that is probably a good choice as your next book after that.

Sheriff
Old 05-17-2005, 12:47 PM

Sheriff,

Your post answers my question in an excellent way!

I'll try to get hold of "Hold'em Poker For Advanced Players" right away [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!
Eeepus
Old 05-17-2005, 01:09 PM

Clearly you need this!

Old 05-17-2005, 03:31 PM

I'd advise TOP before HPFAP just so you understand the game a bit better, and it will be slightly easier to relate concepts in HPFAP to the small stakes game.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd advise TOP before HPFAP just so you understand the game a bit better, and it will be slightly easier to relate concepts in HPFAP to the small stakes game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Condescending and inaccurate in the same reply - way to go Jinx230!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To the original poster, ignore the above garbage. The limits you play have no bearing on your understanding of the game or your ability to comprehend any of the books.

[/ QUOTE ]

Buuuuuuuurrn. But true.

If I was just starting out all over again...here is the order I would read the books I have.

1.Holdem Poker by Sklansky or Getting Started in Holdem by Miller

(Log about a 1000-3000 hands, working out of those books at the low limit...then move onto...)

2.SSHE
3.TOP
4.HPFAP
5.Middle Limit Holdem by Ciaffone (I really like this book, after u read the others and play a ton of hands, some of the advise will be a little weak tight, but I think for the most part, its solid in that the advise is good for tight games and it gets u thinking about what u need to be looking at in a hand -- the other books do as well, but going through 400 hand examples will really grind it into your head)

6. Weighing the Odds... by King Yao --- an amazing book so far...not sure if this should go above MLHE or below it, I like this book alot though.

7.Real Poker II by Roy Cooke.
8.Inside the Poker Mind by Feeney

Then I would move on to the tourney books. Like Tournament Poker for Advanced Players by Sklansky and Harrington on Holdem by Dan Harrington. There is also Super System No limt chapter and Ciaffones NL book and Improve your Poker.

After that read and re-read those books, log a ton of hands, post hands here in the forums, ask questions...u will be set. Do that and within 6 months from now with real study u should be a far better player than u are now. But u have to love the game and want to work through a lot of frustration to become a better player and be making money off the game.

Everyone has to start somewhere...good luck.

PS. After the above books, look into Poker Essays Vol 1-3 by Mason Malmuth.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:08 PM

Just being honest with ya Eeepus, trying to assist and such.

As for $1/$2 limit, you really don't need a book. Seriously, I know you're looking to make money and improve, but that kind of table is not one ya need a book for. If your looking to move up to higher limits, then you should read on. Otherwise, read Getting Started in Hold Em and go from there.

Good luck man.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:58 PM

I disagree. You DO need a book. And the best choice (to begin with) would be Getting Started in Hold'em.