Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 01:57 AM

Default \"Ugh\" he says

NL 200$ 6-max

CO limps
Button (200$) minraises to 4
Hero (covers table) raises it to 14 on the small blind (perhaps 16-18 would have been preferable) with AcAd
Limper calls, button calls

Pot is ~40
Flop: 9c 6d 5c
Hero leads for 30
CO folds
Button says "Ugh" in chat, thinks for most of his time, and calls.

Pot ~100
Turn: 3s
Hero leads for 40, villain pushes fairly quickly (~120 for hero to call), Hero vomits and...?

Stats on villain: 28% VPIP, 6.7% PF raise, 3.29 aggression factor after 200 hands.

Also, should hero have checked this turn?
Old 12-11-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Re: \"Ugh\" he says

yes. Fold.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:31 AM

I find that the vast majority of the time, players have big hands when they talk in chat. Especially when he does the blatant "weak means strong" tell.

As for the turn... man, check/folding seems SO weak....

I really don't like your bet, unless you know villian to be very passive. If he's thinking, he may recognize it for what it is and blow you off your hand with a lot of things.

If you want to bet, bet stronger, say $75, this should make it harder for him to run a bluff on you, and will also nicely price out draws. If he[pushes, stacks are still deep enough that you can get away without too much of a problem (< 3:1 odds).

If he flat calls again, you can usually put him on a draw, and check/call a blank river.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:32 AM

You recommend check/fold?

I agree that the chat tell is pretty strong... I would definately consider it.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:07 AM

I have my chat turned off usually. Mistake?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have my chat turned off usually. Mistake?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes.

a hand a couple weeks ago...
sb raises i call in BB.
flop,he bets i call
turn,he bets, i type in a raise amt, but just before i click raise i see he has typed "fold" into chat box.
woah.
i fold.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
IAs for the turn... man, check/folding seems SO weak....

[/ QUOTE ]
i dont understand why ppl say this, why are u embarrassed?
why is it "weak"?
why wouldnt u say never beiong able to fold AA is "weak"?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:13 AM

It's pretty rare, but I've found it to be pretty reliable.

I also think that chat helps give you impressions of possible tilt/psyche issues that you might consider during a hand.

Of course, a smart player would probably know to give "false tells," but that's a whole different level.

I frequently type stuff like "OMFG" "MOTHER [censored]" after a bad outdraw, to give people the idea that I might be on tilt. Not really sure how much it affects the game...
Old 12-11-2005, 03:19 AM

If hero felt unsure about the situation, I think that the betting line would have been better.

I didn't say he shouldn't check/fold it, as I feel that the tell is pretty reliable.

From my earlier post:
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to bet, bet stronger

[/ QUOTE ]

And no, I was not advocating a check/raise all in.

Although, you are correct, and I never really state a positon in my earlier post.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:20 AM

You don't think KK and QQ etc are possible for him here? AA for split is another possibility, albeit very unlikely. Getting 2:1ish on my money I don't need to be ahead here very often.

When I check turn, with what intention? Do I call a bet? How big? Do I C/R?

Betting 75 there (over half my stack in pot) and folding to a push on that board, with a set being only thing that beats me, kinda sucks. Given that he called on the flop after his deliberating act, I felt he was certainly strong, but a weaker overpair is still pretty strong on that board. Keep in mind his aggression factor of over 3, though, so I am not sure what all he is capable of.

By betting 40$ bet on the turn, I wanted to keep weaker overpairs around, without giving a free card. The turn card obviously changed nothing. When he pushed, I was disgusted, however my bet was somewhat designed to give me action. Given his previous action, though, and his obvious feigned weakness having turned to "I want all my chips in the pot right now", weaker overpairs seemed much less likely. His aggression factor of 3+ made me think long and hard.

Also, pretend for a second that I had chat off for this hand, and didn't notice his timing. Turn line remain the same? Would you call this push? Would you call if he pushed over your 75 bet with half your stack in the pot?