Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2005, 03:08 AM

Default Do i call this?

118 people left out of a 596 player tourney

I'm dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the SB

Blinds are 150-300

I have 7200 in chips

MP1 opens for 1400, called by a LP player and I fold.

Bad Laydown?

Flop comes up 10 10 10 and I cry..
Old 01-14-2005, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Do i call this?

Depends on what their stacks are, what the average is, and how many get paid. If they both have you covered, I'd be inclined to seriously consider a call.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:17 AM

Both stacks had me covered, 1 had about 13K and the other had about 10k, I was about average on the table and a little above average in the tourney
Old 01-14-2005, 03:58 AM

I would not even think about calling here for a huge chunk of your stack. You have to flop 2 pair or better to feel very good about your hand on the flop, and since you could be against Queens or Jacks, the 10 high flop might get you busted. If you flop the Ace, you probably need to fold, but you might get bluffed off the best hand which is terrible too.

If you had 10 2 suited would you have casidered calling? Would you then question your move if 10 10 10 hits the flop? If you answer yes to either of those questions, then your game needs a lot of work. Since your ace is worthless, your hand is only about as strong and 10 2 suited in this case. The flop doesn't ever matter preflop, because you don't know it yet.

You can maybe call if these 2 guys are frequently way out of line with their starting hands, but it still isn't a good idea. LP probably has a very strong hand to tnagle with a guy that can do serious damage to his stack and has already shown considerable strength. Since you gave us no read information, I am assuming they are reasonable players.

I tend to try to get in cheap with speculative hands like the one you have, and since you can't, it is an easy fold.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:59 AM

I would not make this call unless both players had VERY loose opening standards and were very LAG. Also, was 1400 his standard preflop raise?

Your ATs is almost definitely dominated after there is a preflop raise and a call. You are looking at calling off a large portion of your chips against two players that have you covered in a situation where you are most likely dominated and in the worst possible position. I think a call would have been right only if you somehow knew that flop was coming ahead of time.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:59 AM

easy fold pre-flop. you should learn fast to get over what you "would've had." for one thing, i don't think it's even accurate.

i assume you're playing online. my understanding is that the flop is not determined until right before it's about the get dealt. therefore, your taking an extra half second to call will actually change what cards come out of the random number generator. so you could just as easily curse yourself when you fold AT and the flop is 239 b/c it might have come TTT if you had called.