Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Delayed continuation bet?

I was reading HoH2 last night about the "delayed" continuation bet where you check behind on the flop and bet the turn. Harrington then adds that Daniel Negreanu is great with this. Now, I can understand how it works in theory, but in actuality, your opponent is bound to make a stab at the pot on the turn. So here's a theoretical situation:

You hold KJs in middle position, you raise 3x bb, all fold to unknown BB who calls.
Flop comes T73 rainbow. Opponent checks, you check.
Turn comes A true rainbow. Opponent bets 3/4 of the pot, you fold.

Now, does anyone care to explain to me how (in what kind of situations) this "delayed" continuation is more effective/appropriate than an immediate continuation bet?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Delayed continuation bet?

The delayed bet seems to imply that you have a monster or that you have nothing. Sometimes you do have a big hand. Negreaneu did this to me at the WSOP. Limit HE. He was on a blind stealing tear, and I was BB to his CO in this hand. SB was away from the table. He had just stolen the SB's BB with 72o the previous hand. I say to him, pointing at the SB's chips, "Those are MY chips!" So he raises, I call with my QTo. Flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I check, he checks. Turn comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I say, "I have to bet this time." I bet, he immediately raises. I pay him off to find out that yes, he did in fact slow play A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] earning himself possibly 1.5 extra BBs. The delayed CB increased his winnings and set up future hands for him to use this as a bluff.

CSC

In the hand you mentioned, it may have been poissible to bluff him off a hand.