Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 01:10 AM

Default First time posting, question about a unique hand

Sorry guys for the crap you are about to have to dig through, but I couldn't get any of the hand converters to work for me. I play on Hollywoodpoker.com.

This is a unique hand that I wanted to see what your imput on how I played it was. This is the first time I've played 10/20, the highest limit previous has been 5/10. The table had been really tight with very few flops and mostly hands contested heads up. Then out of the blue this happend. I want to hear what you have to say first then I'll post what I was thinking during the hand.

Texas Hold'em $10-$20 (real money), #1,406,292,903
Table Riga, 27 Oct 2005 5:00 AM ET

Seat 1: AsOverKs22 ($1,062.50 in chips)
Seat 2: jrsjkm ($187.75 in chips)
Seat 3: spankdaddy ($373 in chips)
Seat 4: dlperrio ($628 in chips)
Seat 5: sugarsaphire ($42.50 in chips)
Seat 6: OnDaRiver05 ($3,084.30 in chips)
Seat 7: GirlPowerAA ($1,431.50 in chips)
Seat 8: banger03 ($754.70 in chips)
Seat 9: Kanata ($447.75 in chips)
Seat 10: farminggolf ($795 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
OnDaRiver05 posts blind ($5), GirlPowerAA posts blind ($10).

PRE-FLOP
banger03 calls $10, Kanata calls $10, farminggolf calls $10, AsOverKs22 calls $10, jrsjkm folds, spankdaddy folds, dlperrio folds, sugarsaphire calls $10, OnDaRiver05 calls $5, GirlPowerAA bets $10, banger03 calls $10, Kanata calls $10, farminggolf calls $10, AsOverKs22 calls $10, sugarsaphire calls $10, OnDaRiver05 calls $10.

FLOP [board cards 6H,AH,10D ]
OnDaRiver05 checks, GirlPowerAA bets $10, banger03 calls $10, Kanata folds, farminggolf folds, AsOverKs22 folds, sugarsaphire calls $10, OnDaRiver05 calls $10.

TURN [board cards 6H,AH,10D,KH ]
OnDaRiver05 checks, GirlPowerAA checks, banger03 bets $20, sugarsaphire calls $12.50 and is all-in, OnDaRiver05 bets $40, GirlPowerAA calls $40, banger03 calls $20.

RIVER [board cards 6H,AH,10D,KH,5H ]
OnDaRiver05 bets $20, GirlPowerAA bets $40, banger03 folds, OnDaRiver05 calls $20.

SHOWDOWN
GirlPowerAA shows [ QC,QH ]
sugarsaphire mucks cards [ 5D,QD ]
OnDaRiver05 mucks cards [ JH,2H ]
GirlPowerAA wins $162.50, GirlPowerAA wins $227.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:16 AM

Default Re: First time posting, question about a unique hand

looks good here---the ace has to scare you on the flop, but leading is a must to find out. No one raises and you pick up the nut draw, and the hand playes itself from there.

Also, sometimes in a tight game, for no reason, group madness takes over. I don't know why. Maybe for the first time for a while they see a big pot brewing.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:34 AM

Well played. I find it interesting that you check then cold call two on the turn. But, then, I'm not counting up the odds. What was your thought? I don't like betting the turn here because it would not have value, and wouldn't fold anyone with a better hand.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:40 AM

Default Re: First time posting, question about a unique hand (NC)

We're all wondering what the reactions were to your dog-inspired 83o monster.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:51 AM

On the turn there are 9 BB in the pot and she calls 2 but the opponents put in another 4.5, plus she stands to make at least another 1 or 2 minimum on the river if her heart comes, giving over 7:1 odds for her call.

Assuming nobody has a set (not likely given the action), all her heart outs are good so she has no difficulty value-betting them.

You probably need to assume at least 2 Hearts are out there, but even discounting to 7 outs it's an easy call on the turn.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:51 AM

So this is what I was thinking during the hand. Preflop my raise was strickly for value. I knew that as more limpers entered the pot the starting hand requirements were getting less and less and that it was possible I had the best hand. On the flop I was not pleased to see the ace, but I decided to bet and see where I stood hand wise, I might still have the best hand. Even if I got raised I was getting nearly the odds to call one more for my set, There would be roughly 17 small bets in the pot coming back to me giving me 17:1 where it was 22:1 dog to hit my set. So no one raised and the K of hearts falls on the turn. The board to me has gotten dangerous at this point, but now I've picked up a few extra draws. I have the heart draw to the nuts and a gutshot. So I figure to check and call to see the river. I figure to have about 12 outs. I gave myself half an out for the two Qs because they probably wouldn't give me the best hand. Then 9 hearts left for the flush and 2.5 outs for the Js for a grand total of 12. When it was two back to me the pot contained 12 big bets and it was two to call, giving me 6:1 pot odds. This isn't entirely acurate because there could be a reraise behind me, but with the 12 outs I was only a 2.8:1 dog, so I called. Now obviously I couldn't have come up with all this right there on the spot, but I came up with a close approximation.

The big question I have is my play on the flop. I was talking the hand over with a friend and thinks a good alternate to me just leading out would be go for a check raise from someone who might have an A or be on a draw from late position.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:02 AM

Well played. Nice hand.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:47 AM

Your reasoning and play were solid, you should not be doubting yourself much on this hand. I will point out, in agreement with a previous poster, that you should discount two, maybe three hearts which are likely in other hands. Estimating 2.5 outs instead of 4 full for the jacks I like.

I like the flop lead because you want to know if your Queens are good, and I find that betting out is usually better at doing that then check raising. When in doubt don't check raise. The bet might not come from the last player, and you wind up trapping players for two bets when you may or may not have the best hand. WHen you check raise and get three bet, then you will get sucked in by the odds even now that you know you are agaisnt Aces and have two outs. So, you find out where you stand, but paid more bets to do it.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:48 AM

I appreciate the comments and the reenforcement that I did make the correct plays. I look forward learning from all of you and hopefully you all can learn a bit from me too. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]