Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 02:18 PM

Default Choice overload

There was a book that came out recently that argued that the huge amount of choices in American life, shopping for example, are seriously stressing us out. For example, if you need to buy a coffee maker, and you go to the store, and find one model for sale, you'll probably buy it and be perfectly happy. But if you go to a big box appliance store and have to pick from among 10 or 20 different models, you'll never be happy. First, you'll have trouble picking. Then, once you do select one, you'll have buyer's remourse because you'll always wonder if you could have got a better deal/model by making a different choice.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel the same way about Internet poker. I've been perfectly happy for weeks on end playing at my regular site (Poker Stars). But then I get bored and wonder if I'm missing out by not experimenting with other sites and games, perhaps trying more bonus whoring, etc. Then I go sample some different sites, and instead of feeling better I just feel more anxiety. I get stressed over keeping up with passwords, where's my money, is this site legit, am I going to get in trouble for frequent cashouts, is bonus whoring worth not developing a deeper Poker Tracker database, is it bad for my skills to switch back and forth among games, and so on and so on.

Well, not much more to this post other than to wonder if anybody else is as stressed out as I am.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Choice overload

[ QUOTE ]
There was a book that came out recently that argued that the huge amount of choices in American life, shopping for example, are seriously stressing us out. For example, if you need to buy a coffee maker, and you go to the store, and find one model for sale, you'll probably buy it and be perfectly happy. But if you go to a big box appliance store and have to pick from among 10 or 20 different models, you'll never be happy. First, you'll have trouble picking. Then, once you do select one, you'll have buyer's remourse because you'll always wonder if you could have got a better deal/model by making a different choice.

Anyway, I'm starting to feel the same way about Internet poker. I've been perfectly happy for weeks on end playing at my regular site (Poker Stars). But then I get bored and wonder if I'm missing out by not experimenting with other sites and games, perhaps trying more bonus whoring, etc. Then I go sample some different sites, and instead of feeling better I just feel more anxiety. I get stressed over keeping up with passwords, where's my money, is this site legit, am I going to get in trouble for frequent cashouts, is bonus whoring worth not developing a deeper Poker Tracker database, is it bad for my skills to switch back and forth among games, and so on and so on.

Well, not much more to this post other than to wonder if anybody else is as stressed out as I am.

[/ QUOTE ]

Choice=VERY good for a whole host of reasons.

Also, you might want to homogenize your nicks/passwords and keep a database of these things to lessen the likeliehood that you'll forget any of them
Old 05-10-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For example, if you need to buy a coffee maker, and you go to the store, and find one model for sale, you'll probably buy it and be perfectly happy. But if you go to a big box appliance store and have to pick from among 10 or 20 different models, you'll never be happy. First, you'll have trouble picking. Then, once you do select one, you'll have buyer's remourse because you'll always wonder if you could have got a better deal/model by making a different choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're a chick?
Old 05-10-2005, 06:22 PM

Choices don't cause stress......an inability to commit to a choice causes stress.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Choices don't cause stress......an inability to commit to a choice causes stress.

[/ QUOTE ]

The same applies to NL, some people don't like the idea of playing for their stack every hand.