Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 03:07 PM

Default Confused on my flopped set??

button is loose/passive
no reads on mp2, he just sat down.

I think the limp was a little light, but the table was very loose passive so i was limping pp from early.

Should I have raised the flop right off? Was the call/3bet retarded? Wait to pop on the turn?

Cap the turn?
Pop the river when i fill up?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (14.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Button calls, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (14.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (23.25 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 26.25 BB
Old 08-10-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Confused on my flopped set??

Call the turn, check-raise the river and call a 3bet if it should come to that. This is often enough to put in at least 2 more bets on the river.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:16 PM

I would just start raising this on your first chance on the flop. Pot is big, 7 players in the hand, no real reason to slow play this, just pump it until you see enough resistance to believe your behind.

Once you fill up on the river I would raise it again. I think you will be up against a straight here quite often to value raise this. Just call a 3-bet.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:21 PM

1. Go ahead and raise the flop at the first opportunity. Your hand is actually quite vulnerable and you really don't want to give gutshots and hands with backdoor potential the chance to play on. With this many people and that big a pot you'll get plenty of action anyway, as people love to cold-call with overcards and crap like that if the pot is big.

2. As played, a turn check-raise would be pretty sweet.

3. You should lead this river (this is the most interesting part of the hand, in my opinion):

You just sucked out on 65 (a very real possibility here). Nothing changed against the two bigger sets, but button's continued involvement suggests that some of the 8's and 7's may be tied up anyway. Given there are only 3 ways to make 88 or 77 and 16 to make 65, I think that you are a pretty big favorite on this river. Letting it get checked through would pretty much suck. If villain had 65 he may fear the boat and just call which would allow fishcakes on the button to overcall. I'm also happy to put in two bets on the river with this hand.

I don't like a river check-raise because you really don't want 0 or 3 bets to go in on this river.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:23 PM

go nuts right off the bat and dont stop betting/raising unless things get really hairy.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:29 PM

Deranged:

He bets this river 100% of the time. A check-raise gives you position and allows you to only call a 3bet here. If he caps your river 3bet here you are likely dead, and if he 3bets your check-raise on the river here, you are likely dead, but you saved a bet.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Deranged:

He bets this river 100% of the time. A check-raise gives you position and allows you to only call a 3bet here. If he caps your river 3bet here you are likely dead, and if he 3bets your check-raise on the river here, you are likely dead, but you saved a bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason I lead out is because I have no intention of three-betting the river and want to make sure exactly 1 or 2 big bets goes in on the river.

Given all of the action so far I think playing to get 3 or 4 bets in on this river is probably spewing. Once he raises the river after the board pairs and our basic complete admission to having a set I don't think we're ahead enough to put in a value three-bet.
Old 08-10-2005, 03:34 PM

hypothetically, if this was raised and then reraised after your call PF, is this hand a fold?
Old 08-10-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hypothetically, if this was raised and then reraised after your call PF, is this hand a fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

If it looks like the flop is going to be 7 handed or six-handed + some dead money I'm seeing this flop for pretty much any amount of money.

We need 7.5-1 to flop our set. We'll be getting that or close and our "implieds" are huge and in fact get bigger the bigger the pot is (because people will hang around longer in the big pot).
Old 08-10-2005, 03:48 PM

This brings up something I've been curious about for a while. We're 7.5 to 1 to flop trips, but some of those times we lose. Sometimes our trips get lots of action, and sometimes very little. What I'm wondering about is situations w/ small pp. How many callers do we need in a pot to make it profitable. Say it is two to you w/ pocket threes in CO or 2.5 sb to you in the small blind.