Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 02:52 AM

Default are the 1$ getting tougher?

haha i see to many of these..

ive been thinking a lot lately about everyone advocating pushing instead of betting half your stack. ex. BB 200 HERO has 1300 in chips left.
HERO is in SB with K2s.

i understand that its a good idea to push because if you fold after a raise then you will have half your chips and prolly have to gamble them to a coin flip so why not take a coin flip with more chips..
but maybe its better to be patient and let others make mistakes or to wait for better opportunities.. idano i have been losing a lot by pushing the action.

maybe someone can shead some light to this topic for me.
maybe i should post some hands but when i posted in the past everyone says push ..

ideas?
Old 05-31-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: are the 1$ getting tougher?

the reason to push instead of raising off half ur stack is you are pot committed to calling any reraise so you might as well push and put the maximum pressure on ur opponent
Old 05-31-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
haha i see to many of these..

ive been thinking a lot lately about everyone advocating pushing instead of betting half your stack. ex. BB 200 HERO has 1300 in chips left.
HERO is in SB with K2s.

i understand that its a good idea to push because if you fold after a raise then you will have half your chips and prolly have to gamble them to a coin flip so why not take a coin flip with more chips..
but maybe its better to be patient and let others make mistakes or to wait for better opportunities.. idano i have been losing a lot by pushing the action.

maybe someone can shead some light to this topic for me.
maybe i should post some hands but when i posted in the past everyone says push ..

ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes a while to get used to pushing trash, but you have to get used to it. You always remember the times you get caught, but never the times it gets folded down.

Folded down to me in the SB I'm defintely thinking about making a move with only t1300. Reads come into play. Has the BB played solid? What's he taking in preflop, what's he playing for raises? Is he protecting often?

Def post bubble hands you thought were questionable, but don't stop pushing.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i understand that its a good idea to push because if you fold after a raise then you will have half your chips and prolly have to gamble them to a coin flip so why not take a coin flip with more chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason for pushing is to avoid the coin flip. A 3XBB raise means that it is more likely you will be called, and more likely you will be reraised all-in.

Your example of having 1300 chips, blinds 100/200 and K2s in the SB is an obvious push in 90% of situations. Your use of this example makes me wonder if you are too passive on the bubble, rather than too aggressive.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i understand that its a good idea to push because if you fold after a raise then you will have half your chips and prolly have to gamble them to a coin flip so why not take a coin flip with more chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason for pushing is to avoid the coin flip. A 3XBB raise means that it is more likely you will be called, and more likely you will be reraised all-in.

Your example of having 1300 chips, blinds 100/200 and K2s in the SB is an obvious push in 90% of situations. Your use of this example makes me wonder if you are too passive on the bubble, rather than too aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

i push K2s and a whole lot more im questioning if im pushing too much.. its like im the only one pushing at the table and when i get called its a coin flip.. do that a couple times and well i'll always lose..
Old 05-31-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Folded down to me in the SB I'm defintely thinking about making a move with only t1300. Reads come into play. Has the BB played solid? What's he taking in preflop, what's he playing for raises? Is he protecting often?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with this. You have 1300 chips, blinds 100/200, K2s in the SB, it's folded around to you. Reads on the BB are irrelevant. The most relevant thing by far are stack sizes of your opponents. Very little else matters.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i push K2s and a whole lot more im questioning if im pushing too much.. its like im the only one pushing at the table and when i get called its a coin flip.. do that a couple times and well i'll always lose..

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm down with bein the only person that plays right.

If you always lose when you push with K2s, you need to recharge your luckbox.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you need to recharge your luckbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I've been looking all over for automatic rechargers but no dice.
Old 05-31-2005, 03:40 AM

ok maybe you need a read to answer this but what can you push with 4 players

HERO UTG 1300
XX?
does stack size and reads matter that much?>

what about HERO UTG 1300 with 5 players still left.
XX

WHICH cards would you push with in both cases?
Old 05-31-2005, 03:45 AM

The other players stacks, positions and the size of the blinds are more impotant then your hand here.