Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Intersting Play?

Let me know what you guys think of the play I tried on the river. I don't know exactly what possesed me to do it but I thought I would give it a shot. I would have to imagine seat 8 had me beat unless I raised there to try and get him to fold.
7 Card Stud High-Low ($1/$2), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $0.5 (hand converter)

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

4th Street

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 3: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls

5th Street

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___calls

River

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___bets___raises
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___raises___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds

Results: Hero takes the high half of the pot and Seat 4 takes the low with 6542A
Old 04-10-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Intersting Play?

I am not sure about the river play. It looks like seat two may have had a flush/straight draw/low draw, and the same with 4. It seems too risky for me to be raising with sevens here, since seat 4 had the low already and was raising you on 7th. You seem pretty lucky that someone didn't have anything higher than 7's in a fourway pot. Fold on fourth if you ask me. It seems like you are behind both ways with 3 other people in. Congrats though.... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-10-2005, 04:35 PM

Yeah, I agree that I probably should have folded on fourth.
Old 04-10-2005, 04:56 PM

Well, you played third street well.

I think that fourth is a fold. A6 is betting into you, and 53 is behind you, so your low shot is pretty poor. You have a three-card straight, but two Sixes and two Fives are out. Hearts are pretty live, but that isn't enough for me to want to play this hand. If you had known that it was going to be two bets, then I think it's really a fold. As it is, you got roped in on the installment plan.

Fifth is definitely a fold. Your low shot is essentially non-existent. You have two Sixes left in the deck to make your gut-shot. A back-door flush draw isn't enough for you to continue.

Sixth is a fold. Seventh is probably a fold as well. I'm glad it worked out for you and everything, but I don't think that investing three bets to see if you can win half of a not-that-big pot in a $1/2 game is +EV.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:19 PM

The sad part is that I agree with you on every street. I'm not really sure why I didn't fold earlier and why i tried the play I did on the end. It just kind of came upon me. Probably a play I'm safe to say I wont ever try again. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:41 PM

I, too would fold on fourth. by this point, you're already way behind on the low end, and very thin on the high end.

an 8-7 for low will get you in lots of trouble, think of it this way: you're gonna have to put in a whole bunch of bets and all you have is a weak draw for only half the pot. if you develop a high hand with these cards you have almost no shot at the low. if you make a low hand, you have almost no shot at the high. if you're gonna try this, you better have a really good low- you don't.

play for the WHOLE pot.

i definitly fold to the raise, as well.