Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2004, 09:25 AM

Default Has anyone been \"Phished\"?. How much did you lose?. & LATER.

I thought I would use my 1000th post as an eye opener before I take a couple months' vacation from poker and this forum. An acquaintance of mine was taken for a $20K ride from his bank account by a 'Phishing Scam'. He reckons he won't recover the money.

Make sure you read and learn a lot on the subject and take appropiate measures before someone 'cleans you up'.

Thanks to all quality posters, too many to mention, that have contributed to my knowledge and the increase of my bankroll during a difficult first year at poker. Special mention of GrannieMae, Homer, Jek, Jasonholdem, MsSunshine, Schneids, Gonores and David Ross, but really too many people have helped out in many ways and I would spend too much time listing all their names.

Season greetings and good cards to all.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:32 AM

Default Re: Has anyone been \"Phished\"?. How much did you lose?. & LATER.

They try phish me on a daily basis. I think I was alert because of the now several years ongoing "Nigeria connection scheme". They almost got my mum though, good thing she called me before doing something stoopid.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:47 AM

My coworker just received a notice that he had won the "Lotteria Italia". It arrived on very official looking paperwork complete with forms to supply them w/ your banking information so that they can transfer the funds to your checking account. They even include information on how to claim it on your taxes. Very funny
Old 11-22-2004, 10:49 AM

How can anyone be dumb enough to think they've won a lottery they've never entered?
Old 11-22-2004, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How can anyone be dumb enough to think they've won a lottery they've never entered?

[/ QUOTE ]

because people are stupid....and greedy.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:32 AM

There was somebody here in Minneapolis who was "shocked" that she got scammed. Keep in mind she's lived here her whole life. She got a call that said she was eligible for a government refund for "9/11 Reconstruction" to help fix things that were destroyed during 9/11. You know, in New York. A couple thousand miles away. Yet she gave them her bank info and was appalled to realize that she was scammed.

People are dumb.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because people are stupid....and greedy.

[/ QUOTE ]

and often american (or is that covered above) or old and dont really know better.

ive never experienced this personally, however ive read a fair few stories of it happening here in england, usually old pensioners are targetted and told they were entered by a friend in the florida lottery.

its then just one mistake of not checking it out with someone first as to how liekly it is and there goes their life-savings.

20K though, ouch.

im not sure how banking works in general, but as all money is insured as it goes through the system, if you can prove you were scammed can you claim some back, say 40c on the $???

Phill
Old 11-22-2004, 01:02 PM

I've started to get e-mails a few times a week from banks, telling me that they have updated their security systems and that all I need to do to get the enhanced security is to click on the link to their site and enter my account # and PIN. It's an obvious phish because I don't have accounts with the 'banks' who have e-mailed me but I have clicked on the links and the sites look legit and I imagine they fool a lot of people.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:55 PM

Sounds like a lot of bank information scams...I don't remember having to give my bank info for anything...except to my bank of course [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

And regarding those fake bank emails, check your advanced mail settings to see where the email is coming from.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:07 PM

damn.

we lost a funny one with a semi-warped sense of humor to boot.

hurry back and best of luck.