Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 07:03 PM

Default OK, another downswing post.

Actually a breakeven post. You should know the drill by now, if you hate these posts then just don't read it.

I have been a winning player for about a year before this. Over the last 3 months, I have played about 30,000 hands (I've been busy with school, so not a ton of hands for that time period) with a staggering winrate of 0.01BB/100. I play up to 5-10 limit, showing a small winrate at everything but 3-6, where I'm -.38BB/100 over 15,000 hands.

Part of the reason this is so frustrating is that, as I said, school kept me from playing tons of hands, so it's been 3 long calendar months like this. I am putting in more hands now that summer's here, but the trend is not changing.

I am not tilting from this. Don't get me wrong, I am plenty pissed, but when I get angry I stop playing and rant to myself for an hour (my neighbors are either laughing or crying by now). I just keep playing my A game. In fact, I've really made it a point to focus, cut back from 4 to 3 tables at the higher stakes, been studying small-stakes a lot, etc. But nothing changes.

I am just not sure what to do. I keep asking if I am really just a breakeven player, but I just cannot believe that. I play a solid game, I won for a year, and when I see the competition I am up against it just doesn't seem possible that I'm not beating the game. OK, I'll admit Party 3-6 is actually non-trivial to beat. But I've dropped to mostly 2-4 by now, and just cannot end the day up. I've looked through my DB and my biggest daily win in the last month was $21. That has to be variance, right? I mean, even the worst player has winning days.

I know this is way longer than it needed to be, but I am so aggravated I needed to vent. I know I should keep refining my game. Really I am looking for one proven winning player to say they've had a 30,000 hand break-even streak. Just knowing that would give me enough confidence to continue.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:44 PM

Default Re: OK, another downswing post.

ive had a 20k hand LOSING streak, and ive won 5 figures playing 2-4......ride out the storm
Old 06-26-2005, 08:07 PM

Drop down to 2 or even 1 table. If you're not winning, what's the point of multitabling? This should help you to increase the quality and reflect more on your play.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Drop down to 2 or even 1 table. If you're not winning, what's the point of multitabling? This should help you to increase the quality and reflect more on your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

great advice.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:14 PM

A 30K breakeven run is not due to variance. Figure out what you are doing wrong and change it.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:25 PM

I'm barely above even for my last 30k.

150k or so of winning poker before that.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A 30K breakeven run is not due to variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree. It can be.

[ QUOTE ]
Figure out what you are doing wrong and change it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good suggestion.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm barely above even for my last 30k.

150k or so of winning poker before that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Past winning-ness is meaningless. 30K hands of breakeven poker does not happen by chance. You are doing something different. Change it.