Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 11:05 AM

Default River Question with this 99 Hand

Readings: UTG is LAP and BB is SLAP after about 120 hands

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (6.66 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.66 BB

Main question is whether I should have folded the river here? Any other comments?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:28 AM

Default Re: River Question with this 99 Hand

Hi Slavik,

I suspect you posted this hand because he showed you a flush or somehow managed to have a fullhouse, but you shouldn't be results orientated. Yes, it may so happen that he did beat you here and you "wasted" a big bet this hand, but you must think of it in theory and the long run. You didn't actually "waste" a big bet. In fact, calling should WIN you a fraction of a big bet here even though you lost this particular hand. This is simply because there's no sure way to know what your opponent has (unless you he actually shows you his cards.) The only thing you can do is guess what kind of hands he may have and look at the size of the pot. He may have a flush or a full house here, but there are also lots of times he'll bluff or value bet a small pair here. Play this river 7.66 times, do you think you will win at least one of them? If you think yes, you call. If you think no, you fold (though in this particular case, it's a call).

Hope I helped ya. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Kailia
Old 04-21-2005, 11:39 AM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Slavik,

I suspect you posted this hand because he showed you a flush or somehow managed to have a fullhouse, but you shouldn't be results orientated. Yes, it may so happen that he did beat you here and you "wasted" a big bet this hand, but you must think of it in theory and the long run. You didn't actually "waste" a big bet. In fact, calling should WIN you a fraction of a big bet here even though you lost this particular hand. This is simply because there's no sure way to know what your opponent has (unless you he actually shows you his cards.) The only thing you can do is guess what kind of hands he may have and look at the size of the pot. He may have a flush or a full house here, but there are also lots of times he'll bluff or value bet a small pair here. Play this river 7.66 times, do you think you will win at least one of them? If you think yes, you call. If you think no, you fold (though in this particular case, it's a call).

Hope I helped ya. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

While this post wasn't incredibly novel, it was on target. I remember learning quite a bit from some of your other posts a few months back. Why don't you post more?

As to the actual hand, against most players, I would definitely call this. Against some of the most LP donks, u can fold, but even some of these donks get tricky and will bluff, so i like calling as a good default.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:48 AM

Hi 27o,

I've been on vaccation for the better part of a month, so between the Eiffel Tower and 2+2, I choose the tower baby! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2005, 11:50 AM

I call here as well. If he slowplayed it this far that is fine. If he hit the flush that is fine too. A loose player could have a pretty wide range of hands. Also depending on his VPIP, his aggression rating might be misleading.

If I had to guess I would say that he made his flush. But this board is just to perfect for someone to bluff at. I think you pick someone off just enough times to make this either neutral or just slightly -EV from a snapshot perspective. From a overall perspective, if it keeps someone from taking shots at you it might even go to +EV.

But no I would not fold.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:50 AM

what is LAP? and what is SLAP?
Old 04-21-2005, 02:37 PM

LAP: Loose-Aggressive preflop, passive postflop
SLAP: Semiloose.....
Old 04-21-2005, 06:35 PM

in the words of Teddy KGB, pay that man, pay that man his money