Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 05:36 AM

Default TOURNAMENT PRO, HOW GOOD DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO MAKE LIVING

I was wondering how good you have to be to make a decent living(60 or 70k or more a year cleared after expenses ) playing tournament poker on the wold poker tour? And how good to show a profit? How many players do you need to be better than? What is the perecentage of the field you have to be better than?
Old 04-02-2005, 10:37 AM

Default Re: TOURNAMENT PRO, HOW GOOD DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO MAKE LIVING

If you are looking to make $70K / year, I wouldn't try it in $5K-$25K tournaments. It is much easier and safer to do it in smaller tournaments or cash games. If you want to be a tour pro, you should already be averaging a lot more that that from poker. Most of the tour pros also play smaller tournaments and cash games.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:54 AM

Do you realize that making a living playing 20 10k tourneys is not that safe????????????
Old 04-02-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you realize that making a living playing 20 10k tourneys is not that safe????????????

[/ QUOTE ]

If you padded out the rest of the time playing 20 tournaments a day on the internet it might work.
Old 04-02-2005, 02:04 PM

Were discussing if you can make a living playing WPT tourneys. You can make a livng playing roullette 15 hours a year if you add a full-time job.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:38 PM

? i'm not understanding why instead of anwering my serious question you chose to talk about roulette a gambling game. I'm talking about poker. A profession you can make money at.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:43 PM

Poker, a gambling game.
Old 04-02-2005, 06:45 PM

Not necessarily true. There are many famous players on the wpt that are champions that haven't averaged 70k a year playing poker before they hit their wins. In fact many of them couldnt beat middle limit live games to be honest. I have a few in mind. Acutally many but don't want to call them out. And where is your proof they are making 70k a year now on wpt tour? My guess is many aren't doing that good to make 70k or more a year. Except maybe somee now cause of all the freerolls but otherwise it looks glamorous but mnay are broke because its not as easy as it looks.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:06 PM

ahrrrgggg....u asked if u can make a living playing WPT the answer is clearly NO, another poster pointed out that if you add some ring game it can be done, i point out that of course u can make a living playing wpt AND smaller tourneys but the question was only WPT, thereby I responded with a little bit of sarcasm. DO U GET IT NOW?grrrrr [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 04-02-2005, 07:13 PM

No one, and I mean absolutely NO ONE, should be able to make a living solely playing the WPT.

Do you realize how much the variance would be playing these 10k tournaments for a living?

There are what, only 20 tournaments per year? There is almost no way you could guarantee winning enough to make a living on a year to year basis.

This is not to say that playing the WPT is not +$EV for certain players. It is simply to say that the variance of this game is such that it is impossible to win consistently enough that it would be wise to waste any time trying to make a profession of it.

If you want to make a profession playing poker, you should stick to cash games, SNG's, or even Online MTT's. All of those have far less variance than playing a 10k tournament, plus there are no travel costs.