Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Fallujah build-up

US troops are telling all civilians to leave Fallujah for their own safety. They are also forbidding any men under 45 to enter or leave the city.

Nice.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Re: Fallujah build-up

[ QUOTE ]
They are also forbidding any men under 45 to enter or leave the city.

[/ QUOTE ] well, if they aren't terrorist, then they won't be shooting at coalition troops, so more than likely they should be safe. Would you rather they let all of them leave, so that some terrorists could mix in and leave with them?
Old 11-05-2004, 12:27 PM

No, obviously I would rather the entire 100,000-odd male population of Falluja be murdered so that a few rebels go with them.

This is collective pubishment at its most blatant. The idea that men can't be civilians is ridiculous - especially when were constantly told it's all foreign fighters to blame, that the entire insurgency movement only counts a couple of thousand people in the entire country. I'd expect this sort of thing from Radko Mladic, not the US.

" so more than likely they should be safe. "

Are you kidding? Like they were safe last time?
Old 11-05-2004, 12:30 PM

What will be nice is preventing so many attacks from coming out of that terrorist and insurgent headquarters in future months.

Hopefully too terrorist kingpin and hostage executioner Zarqawi will be trapped inside and sent to meet Allah before he intended to make the journey.

Pacifying Fallujah could have largely been done in the initial phases of the war, had not Turkey at the last minute rescinded permission for a U.S. Division to enter Iraq from the North.

The process won't be nice, but hopefully after it is over, the people and civil servants of Iraq, and U.S. soldiers, and foreign workers, won't have to face daily terrorist attacks. So...it has to be done. Hopefully it will be done right.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, obviously I would rather the entire 100,000-odd male population of Falluja be murdered so that a few rebels go with them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you please spew forth some more hyperbole.

[ QUOTE ]
This is collective pubishment at its most blatant.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree that it is somewhat harsh, but I think that the coalition forces are fed up with the constant cat and mouse game they are playing and want to do something to stop that. The way they are going about it is probably the most effective way.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So would I Nicky. I am pleased that you are finally begining to understand the meaning of "acceptable collateral damage".
Old 11-05-2004, 12:37 PM

Nicky, as Salt suggested, if they don't shoot at US and Iraqi troops, I would guess most of them should be fine. Bt of course many of them will shoot at US troops, so there will be carnage.

The terrorist/insurgent enclave from which most attacks in Iraq spring must be disarmed, and the terrorists within must be captured or killed. If the non-combatant male civilians trapped inside have any sense, they will assume the least threatening posture possible. Hopefully the collateral damage won't be too great but there is a lot of insurgent support in Fallujah so it may well be a bloodbath.

Root for the good guys;-)
Old 11-05-2004, 12:43 PM

"Nicky, as Salt suggested, if they don't shoot at US and Iraqi troops, I would guess most of them should be fine."

If they start with a large bombing campaign, as most think they will, that's not going to happen. Any unarmed people wanting to leave should be allowed to. Anything else is a blatant war crime.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If they start with a large bombing campaign, as most think they will, that's not going to happen.

[/ QUOTE ] The U.S. does not use "carpet bombing" tactics. They have precision weapons which, for the most part, hit the target they want to hit. Listen, the people of Fallujah had plenty of time to turn in terrorists and assist the coalition forces in cleaning up THEIR city. Time has run out, and now its time for our boys to do the dirty work AGAIN.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:56 PM

Long time coming.... Necessary evil shall we say....

Fallujah will be a rubble pile.... Anyone with any sense should have fled there by now.

This will be an example to the rest....

>TW<