Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 01:51 AM

Default Joy of violent movement pulls you under

One of my college friends was in a 3/6 game, so I decided I'd play a while. He wasn't involved in this hand though.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, CO calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (10.16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (12.16 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14.16 BB
Old 06-10-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: Joy of violent movement pulls you under

I'm not too sure about the coldcall PF. I'd either raise it or fold it. FLop and turn is all good. River is kinda meh.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:56 AM

No way I'm coldcalling preflop. If CO is a LAG, I 3bet, if not I fold.

I'd be very surprised if you weren't drawing to two outs here.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:56 AM

I like it all. He may just have A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If CO is a LAG, I 3bet, if not I fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Folding here is not good. If you call, you are probably going to play four or five handed for two bets with you having pocket eights and the button. This is clearly profitable. So there is no way folding is better than calling.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:32 AM

I do not like cold-calling pre-flop. If you want to play you should raise.

Fold flop to 2 bets. After action preflop, it is pretty likely you are behind.

Even if you are still ahead, opponents have strong draws and your draws are dirty. You have 1 out to nuts(straight flush), 2 outs to set, 3 outs to straight and 9 outs to flush. But even if you make set, straight or flush you still often lose.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:35 AM

River seems like an easy fold to me. The only reasonable hand you're beating is A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K, and opponent would have to be more aggro than your average 3/6er to have it here.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:22 AM

I don't get the preflop CC. Yea, you're in the button, but not enough callers really for the implied odds. Seems like a raise/fold situation.

I think I fold the flop. You're over pair clearly isn't the best hand and facing 2 bets I'm not sure your straight draw is worth much. Your flush draw is probably worthless.

Say 1 spade out, 2 trip outs, and effectively 3 straight out, but the trip and straight outs are victims of redraws, so call it 4 outs total. At 10-2, I just don't see the odds to chase.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:40 AM

I don't understand why so many are against the PF cold-call. I think a lot of people are being influenced by knowing that the BB 3-bet PF. I think cold-calling with two random hands left to act here is not as bad as it's being made out to be.

Typically a large factor of a late-position 3-bet with a hand like this is to buy the button. COs range can be pretty large here and we are guaranteed to have position. I think there are a lot of flops that we can take advantage of by keeping CO in the lead. Having him there gives us a good chance of being able to protect our hand on many flops that don't neccessarily need to hit us that hard.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:51 AM

I think people are more influenced by SSHE and the idea that you should basically never cold-call. It's good advice both for beginners and for experts to recall. But at the same time, there are going to be more times to cold-call profitably than just AQs, KQs, AJs. As you improve your poker ability, you begin to recognize situations where you can deviate from the "normal" play to earn a bit more.

It's sort of like the not folding on the end for a bet in a big pot idea. It's good advice for everyone, but applies more to beginners, some of whom may be apt to make "big laydowns". As you get better, you can find spots where your hand is never going to be good, or almost never, no matter how big the pot, and thus you can fold. It's darn good advice to strongly consider calling in large pots with marginal hands, but at the same time we need to consider our hand reading and other skills to make the best play. People can be a bit dogmatic sometimes is all I'm saying.