Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Making 15k a month to losing everything I have in world...

Hey all for past year or so I have averaged 10-15k a month profit playing at 4 sites...Things were going great I bought a home, a cadillac, an 8,000 dollar ring for my lady etc...I had every toy I ever wanted and of course had a sick bank roll... I really was living the poker players dream until the last month...in March I committed suicide on my bank roll...I actually had to ask my father for a loan to pay my house payment. I have no other income source and my bank roll is at 0.00 as we speak. I have lost it all in a month. I was losing 8k a day some days at party poker 1k buy in plo 8 and plo. Then I moved up to 100 200 on a couple sites and bamm another 30k gone in a week...My only saving grace is I have 9k in my ameritrade account invested in various stocks I bought with poker winnings. The question is besides buy a gun and rent a bullet what now? I am 26 with 1/2 of a college degree and an amazing amount of cash needed to sustain my monthly bills now as I was living VERY high on the hog. Any advice would be appreciated as my psyche is not doing well after the past month...

Ken
Old 04-02-2005, 09:54 PM

Default Re: Making 15k a month to losing everything I have in world...

Get a job.

Seriously, if you went on a month-long rampage to lose your massive bankroll, you MUST get a steady job and do the best you can to reduce your monthly living expensive. Having a tilty night or couple of days is one thing, but ruining your bankroll when poker is your only source of income is another.

Get a job.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:09 PM

Not exactly the response I was looking for..was looking for ideas on rebuilding my BR quickly etc?
Old 04-02-2005, 10:17 PM

What temerity! If we don't trust you with another BR, why would you trust yourself? You suffer from greed and a lack of caution/discipline. You could have played in smaller games and lived a more modest life, gone on a losing streak, and still have plenty of money left over.

My original response was much softer, but your response about getting another BR quickly is outrageous.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:19 PM

I think I have to agree with Jeff here.

you went on a losing streak and then moved UP to 100/200 to try to get it back? not a good idea (but you know this now I supposed).

People ask me how I can possibly play poker for a living?? What about the stress of not making enough money to pay the bills, etc.

I ALWAYS have the mind-set that if my bank-roll gets to a certain point I can always just go back to the real work-universe (which I may do at some point anyway if I feel like it).
I also have the mind-set that if I go on a losing stretch at 15/30 that I can always go back to 5/10. If I'm not cutting it at 5/10 then I will probably need to step back to 3/6...and then to multi-tabling 2/4 and bonus-chasing, etc etc.

For your bank-roll to be at ZERO is really something.
If you were still playing at 100/200 when you were down to your last $10k or so (50BB's) and just sat there as it went down to zero then you really need to re-analyze.

Obviously I don't know if this is what you did.....but I sense it is a possibility.

To answer your question more to your satisfaction you may wish to consult Homer's thread on 'building a bankroll for newbies'. But this probably isn't as fast as you're hoping to build your bankroll.

If you're looking for a sure-fire way to quadruple-up your $9000 quickly with little risk...well....there isn't any.
If you want to stay in poker then you need to play within your limits. If playing within your limits will not allow you to pay all of your expenses then you'll either need to work that much harder OR you'll need to get a job.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:34 AM

Is it really necessary to use all of those calculations to deduce that this poster has a gambling problem?
Old 04-03-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really necessary to use all of those calculations to deduce that this poster has a gambling problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was certainly my first reaction.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:39 PM

If you're just wondering how to re-build your bankroll this is probably not the appropriate forum.

however, your post actually DID find the right place as the psychology of how you got in your situation in the first place needs to be addressed (even though you may or may not be interested in discussing this aspect of your predicament).
Old 04-03-2005, 07:43 PM

Sell the Caddy.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sell the Caddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably bought it new and ows more on it than it is worth.

Greg