Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 06:53 PM

Default AK down the pooper

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($16)
Hero ($95.90)
MP ($101.62)
Button ($13.47)
SB ($38.83)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP calls $2, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.75) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.9</font>, MP calls $3.90.

Turn: ($12.55) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $9</font>, MP calls $9.

River: ($30.55) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, he goes all in.. Hero folds.

Final Pot: $50.55
Old 11-04-2005, 07:30 PM

Default Re: AK down the pooper

atleast one coment?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:32 PM

I wouldn't even bother betting the turn, but I think your river line kinda blows.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't even bother betting the turn, but I think your river line kinda blows.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you check/fold or check/call the turn?
how u do the river?
Old 11-04-2005, 07:40 PM

20 is way too much on the river, 15 would be fine. I wouldn't mind betting 10. Turn bet is unnecessary... there are no other draws to price him out of, and I'd be cautious on this board. Not really betting for value in this hand I don't think.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:09 PM

Check/folding the turn is awful. I think you played it alright. I don't really like a turn check... sure, pot control is a consideration, but so is getting the maximum amount of value out of AQ-AT.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:23 PM

You've got to call 61 more to win 132 or so, factoring in the blinds. Are you sure you're beat over 2/3 of the time here? If you have played with your opponent for some time and are comfortable you're beat, that's fine. I just can't agree with folding here on the river with a vacuum of information.

Maybe I just play differently from others, but I find people pushing rivers at me like this with hands that I destroy. I'm an aggressive player, so I'll get AQ and AJ value bet push at me. If villain has 55, nh. I'll get it back.

jason
Old 11-04-2005, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've got to call 61 more to win 132 or so, factoring in the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a pet peeve of mine. I don't mean to pick on you Jason, but I really hate everyone saying "You're getting a good price" when the fact is you're obviously beaten. The idea behind a river blocking bet is you FOLD if you get raised, not talk yourself into a call because you're getting a good price.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:45 PM

Why has no one considered that the villian could easily have A3/A5/A2. Three hand that we've just overtaken that could easily play like this. Some idea of the villians preflop range would really help us make some reads. If he's a set mining nit then yes you're probably behind after he calls the turn. once you make that river bet you have to call the reraise, althought I would have making it we are not behind more than 2/3 of the time here.

Personally I'd check/call the river. I'm scared once he calls the turn and the river made me feel a little better but not alot. If he does indeed have a set/straight then he will probably valuebet for around $20 or so. If your plan is to commmit $20 and fold when he shows strenght then clearly check calling is a much stronger line to take.

But yeah get some reads, If this is in the first few hands at the table then its a tough one. I just hate the river bet, its not a value bet and its not really a blocking bet. After all whats it blocking? Only a stupid player with a set, because if he's thinking at all he can't put you on a 4, and a load of two pairs we beat. It looks a lot like you got confused because you couldn't put him on a hand after the turn and thought 'I have two pair, what do I do....er its a strong hand I bet.' That probably sounds a little harsh and god knows I've been there often enough but thats the way I see the hand.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:50 PM

Again, I must play a different game than you guys, because I'll call this bet every time unless I have a read on the guy. And way way way way WAY more than 1/3 of the time am I ahead.

Getting 2:1 on your money is a good price if you're ahead 40% of the time. That's what it's all about. I'm not saying call because it's 2:1, I'm saying call because unless you have specific information, you're going to be ahead. Now, if I've been sitting next to this guy for a while, and he's played a trapping game, then I'm unlikely to be 2:1, so I fold.

I think the worst part of this hand was Hero's river bet. What did hero hope to accomplish? Yes, I know, blocking bet, get information for $20 that he might have otherwise paid $40 for. All hero's done with this line is encourage people to come over top of him.