Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 12:38 PM

Default AKo

How was this? This was the 4th big hand in a row that I had and I was getting automatically checked to no matter basically. I raise on the flop to hope they would all check behind on the turn, but I'm wondering if I should have played this differently for the times that the A or K didn't come on the river? I didn't make my hand on the turn so I figured maybe they would think I'm going for another check raise and that's why I checked. I didn't feel that I had the outs with the small-ish pot to get raised with no hand and have to fold... Comments?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.05. MP1 posts a blind of $0.07.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 (poster) checks, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

River: (9.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls $0.10 (All-In).

Final Pot: 11.70 BB
Old 10-14-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Re: AKo

I don't [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] the flop raise. You're OOP, so a free-card play is unlikely to work. You don't have enough opponents to make a raise for value, even with your BDFD. You aren't cleaning up outs, since anybody that's got an ace or king and already paired their kicker isn't going anywhere in this pot. And, given the size of the pot you're unlikely to take it down right there.

I check/call until an ace or king falls, then I start betting. If I don't have a pair by the river, I check/fold.

Edited to complete the action.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:53 PM

Grunching/Wookieing...

Preflop: Good raise for pot equity advantage.

Flop: Normally I would lead off, but considering your preface about your 4th big hand in a row I think the C/R is a goot.

Turn: Again, a good semi-bluff bet here.

River: Another bet for value, I like it. Could MP2 been betting his club flush draw on the flop? I think this was well played.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:05 PM

I quite like the way that you played this hand.

The pot was too big on the flop, to make anyone who had any piece of it make a mistake by calling a bet. Also no one else had shown any agression, so you could not anticipate a flop bet of yours being raised.

By checking the flop it gave you the opportunity to raise if someone else bet to try to thin the field.

Edit: Having seen Bozlax reply, I now think that check/calling the flop and turn makes sense.

Your check on the turn, when you did not improve also seemed sensible. I doubt that a turn bet would have folded anyone who had called the flop in that large pot.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How was this? This was the 4th big hand in a row that I had and I was getting automatically checked to no matter basically. I raise on the flop to hope they would all check behind on the turn, but I'm wondering if I should have played this differently for the times that the A or K didn't come on the river? I didn't make my hand on the turn so I figured maybe they would think I'm going for another check raise and that's why I checked. I didn't feel that I had the outs with the small-ish pot to get raised with no hand and have to fold... Comments?

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG+1 posts a blind of $0.05. MP1 posts a blind of $0.07.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 (poster) checks, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, Button checks.

River: (9.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, Button calls $0.10 (All-In).

Final Pot: 11.70 BB

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't check-raise the flop, but rather check-call. You've got a weakish draw, but certainly enough to peel one with a BDFD to the nut flush and your two overcards. You said that the pot is too small, but it's actually a pretty big pot. I don't think a raise here is going to force anyone out behind you with any kind of draw, and you also might find yourself 3-bet (although that is unlikely given your description of the table). You ended up getting a free turn, but I wouldn't have counted on that with so many people OOP.

Nice river, though. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 02:24 PM

I tend to play overcards pretty weak-tightish. It's important to remember that overcards have worse odds than a gutshot (about even with a gutshot if you count the backdoor). Check-raising here isn't for value, and isn't for a free card, so I wouldn't do it.

Play this like a 4-5 outer, and allow pot odds and pot equity to dictate your play. No reason to stray from those 2 primary concepts in a hand like this.