Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 11:19 PM

Default Just saying hello

I've been reading the 2 + 2 forums for a while. Just decided to actually make an account and participate a little.

Been playing poker for around 4 months. Not super active, not looking to make a career of it, just looking to play well, make money instead of lose it, and to enjoy myself.

I started playing nanolimit LHE games but, to be honest, I just don't like them. So I play pretty much just SnG's now, with the occasional MTT if I see something that sparks my interest(or if I see a good freeroll, like today's on bet365).

I'm posting here because I'm a newbie, both to the forum, and to poker in general. I have a long way to go before I consider myself anything above a novice. I play fairly well(In my own opinion) in SnG's, and even in MTT's. But beating $5 and $10 buy-in SnG's or MTT's doesn't seem to be a real hard feat so I don't consider those to be any sort of barometer.

I have yet to buy Pokertracker, though I have most of the recommended books, and am getting a few more for X-Mas.

Hopefully I won't ask too many dumb questions, or questions that have been answered before. If I do, please feel free to call me an idiot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: Just saying hello

Welcome to the forums!
Old 11-26-2005, 11:47 PM

Thanks.

Both for the welcome, and your avatar [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks.

Both for the welcome, and your avatar [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2005, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been reading the 2 + 2 forums for a while. Just decided to actually make an account and participate a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the forums and the game.

In addition to the forums here, you might want to visit The Poker Wiki. A good first place to visit is the Beginner's FAQ which should answer a lot of questions for you right off the bat.

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions you might think are dumb here in the Beginner's Forum. That's what it's here for.

Have fun.

T
Old 11-28-2005, 06:17 PM

Welcome!

I would second SheridanCat's suggestions. If you ask a question that's been asked before, there's a good chance one of us may direct you to a prior thread or wiki article -- don't take that as a rebuke, though. It's OK to ask the same questions again; just don't be offended if we don't write you an original response. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hope you enjoy your time here!
Old 11-28-2005, 06:44 PM

I'm fairly new too and I bet I can ask more stupid questions than you can. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Here's one:
The links post mentions some great books to read. What about DVDs though?
I've read some good reviews on here and they lead me to Final Table Poker with Phil Gordon. Great DVD for no-limit tourneys and SNGs. Very entertaining and the concepts are made easy to understand.
I have Lederer's too. A little boring, but great info.
Is there a good DVD for no-limit cash games? Is there a whole series out there I am missing? (besides Lederer)
Thanks for helping out the noobs!
Old 11-29-2005, 12:02 AM

Thanks,

I've seen you link to the wiki a few times, so I already have the front page bookmarked, and I peruse it now and again for definitions and such. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Very good resource, and I plan to use it whenever I need to.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:04 AM

I never even thought about DVD's. Interesting idea, I may look in to that at some point in the future. For the most part I got all the recommended "starting" books, but most of them relate to LHE and as I said in the original post, I'm not a big fan of LHE ring games.

So for X-Mas I'm getting TPOP, TPFAP, and both Super Systems. I already have both HOH's, SSHE, GSIHE, and TOP, so that's where I figured I should go next, as they relate more to NLHE tourneys(STT or MTT) than the others.

But, after I get those I'll keep the DVD's in mind [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 12:07 AM

If you are going to play a lot of live poker then I would recommend Mike Caro's poker tells DVD. Its pretty good as well.