Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Stopping poker, and withdrawal

Hey everyone.

Just a quick overview: I'm 18, going to college in a month. Started playing poker a year or so ago, got hooked. I have a very addictive personality, be it sports, games, or video games, etc.

With college a month away, my lifestyle is about to radically change, and I really need to focus on my education and my social life, since I'll be meeting so many new people.

So, I'm dumping poker for at least the first semester, maybe more. It will be tough, but I'm going to do it.

Unfortunately, my addictive personality is going to clash with getting rid of poker. Almost a "withdrawal" sort of thing.

Poker has been good to me, going into the summer I had less than $1k to my name and now I'll have more than $2k, more than enough for Freshman year at college. But, I really need to find a new hobby or something, because a) I don't want to get back into poker and have it screw with other things in my life first semester, and b) I could use a new hobby, bad.

So, I think what I'm going to do is go to the gym everyday and start running a lot, working on my benchpress and my jump shot. Maybe that will work, who knows.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions?
Old 07-10-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: Stopping poker, and withdrawal

If you're intent on quitting, working out is probably your best bet. Everyone does it at school, good way to socialize. I stopped playing for money online my first year (and am now a play money champion), but the kids that play on campus (and no matter where you go, there will be tons of them) are too easy to pass up. Play those games, trust me. And have fun.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:10 PM

Get a girlfriend.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:49 PM

Got one already [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 10:31 PM

Go ahead and take a break. You have so many great experiences ahead that you shouldn't miss out on because you're sitting in front of a screen. I gave up almost all computer-entertainment activities as an undergrad and I'm glad I did. Play poker when you're a working sob and it's a nice distraction.
Old 07-10-2005, 11:21 PM

You are displaying maturity beyond your years.

I hope you don't let the addictive elements of your personality overwhelm the intelligence that you have shown in this post.

Good luck in school.

Regards,

Al
Old 07-10-2005, 11:42 PM

In your first semester of college you're either going to be so into your new life that you don't even remember what poker is, or else it'll blend into all the other things that make you homesick. The cure to the latter is to just hang in there, and the activities you suggested are a good start.

And if you're in a dorm, starting a poker game may turn out to be a great way of getting to know your dormmates. Just don't beat'em too bad.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:28 AM

First off I applaud your decision. I think It's a wise way to start college. You can always play poker again if you want to. I think your plan to find a new hobby is the best idea. If working out doesn't work for you I'm sure you'll find something. You seem like a smart guy. Good luck to you
Old 07-11-2005, 04:06 AM

Where addiction lies

I realize you don't want to quit playing forever and probably don't have a problem. But I bet if you totally stopped playing for a while you would forget why you ever played. Well let’s not bet on it, as that would defeat the purpose. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] gl
Old 07-11-2005, 07:08 AM

when i took a 1 week break from poker (it was meant to be 2 weeks) i used whist as a sister drug. which is just as bad, now im addicted to whist AND poker.