Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 01:29 AM

Default good bluff or retarded bluff?

5/10 NL 6-max on party. Villain has ~1K. He is an aggressive maniac with VPIP 60 and PFR 21. I have him covered. I open on the button with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for $45. Villain reraises to $105 from the SB. BB folds. I call. (I know this is a bad call.)

Flop comes: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [Pot: 220]
Villain leads for $100. I sense weakness and I try a bluff raise and make it $148 more to him. Villain calls.

Turn is 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. [Pot: 646] Villain checks. I am sure he can't beat a pair of queens unless he is slowplaying QQ which is quite unlikely. He certainly would have reraised AA and KK on the flop. I push.

Edited to adjust pot sizes.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:33 AM

Default Re: good bluff or retarded bluff?

I have no clue if this is a good spot to bluff in or not. But I do know you executed it terribly.
Small little raises into monster pots don't scream strength-they indicate you feel like raising but not too much.
Then after that, villain checks and you overbet? That combined with the small raise indicate to me that all you want to do is win the pot and could not care less about representing anything.

Also, you must have miscounted the pot size or the raise size as the two don't line up since (105+105+blinds)>150
Old 11-08-2005, 01:34 AM

fold preflop after the reraise....(as you already seem to know)

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure he can't beat a pair of queens unless he is slowplaying QQ which is quite unlikely. He certainly would have reraised AA and KK on the flop. I push.

[/ QUOTE ]If you are sure then it's just a matter if you think opponent can fold JJ here. Your hand seems like more of a semibluff or QQQ 777 222 as AQ wouldn't play a hand like this IMO.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:18 AM

Not crazy about it, for two reasons:

1. Villain is an "aggressive maniac." Not usually the best type of person to bluff.

2. The bluff is completely naked. You aren't really representing anything. A set of Queens? Trip twos? Further, you may not even have a long shot out if he calls.