Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2005, 10:51 AM

Default A Hand For Review

I'm still feeling my way through 6 max. Should I have played this any differently? I have no real read on the villian. Should I have called this down?

Absolute Poker 2/4 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Ts 9h (straight, jack high).
Hero has Ad Kh (high card, ace).
Outcome: BB wins 6.50 BB. </font>
Old 09-18-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: A Hand For Review

Word of advice: Never post results, as they tend to skew the comments you will get.

Turn check is OK in a 3-way pot. Betting here isn't the worst play, but I prefer to check most of the time against 2 players.

River: I would fold here. YOu aren't closing the action and this river card completes a lot of draws or pairs up gutshots. With 2 opponent and a smallish pot, it is wise to let this one go. Just because you have the best hand preflop doesn't mean you need to hold onto it all the way. It's hard to play overcards in a 6-max game, but this is a good one to post because I think you can learn from it. Good luck to you.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:17 AM

what you have to consider here is the texture of the flop. there are a ton of draws out there that they could be drawing to on that board. you want to make them pay to draw, call unprofitably.

also, consider the turn card. the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is about as blank as it gets, so if you were ahead on the flop, you still are on the turn and you're not likely to get check/raised here. my line would be to bet the turn and check behind on the river.

after you check through the turn, just about the worst card in the deck hits the river. almost every draw got there and he's leading into 2 opponents. i doubt you're good there 1 in 5.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
also, consider the turn card. the 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is about as blank as it gets, so if you were ahead on the flop, you still are on the turn and you're not likely to get check/raised here. my line would be to bet the turn and check behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Mr. Pink hit it right on the head. If a flop bet was correct, given the turn card, I'd much rather bet the turn and take my free showdown UI than check the turn and have to call a river bet.