Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 07:55 PM

Default flop top 2, confused by villians raise on the river?

thoughts here:

I've either been raised by the best hand possibly a rivered straight or slowplayed by a set?
by calling the other villian may call with the odds being laid to him? by 3-betting I'm getting capped by better hands?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (12.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 08:05 PM

Default Re: flop top 2, confused by villians raise on the river?

I don't think there's much value in 3 betting; if you just call and CO calls, you're getting 1 less bet in the middle than if you 3 bet, CO folds and button caps. But in the button capping case, it's very unlikely you have the best hand, so you're putting in 1 bet in the cases where you usually win the pot, and 2 bets in the cases where you're very unlikely to take it down.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:09 PM

You are much better off just calling the river raise and picking up the overcall from CO rather than opening yourself up to a cap IMO.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:56 PM

I agree with just calling to get the overcall from CO. But I'm absolutely perplexed as to what Button has here...whatever it is, I'm guessing it's worth buddy-listing him over.
Old 10-05-2005, 12:37 AM

My first dabble in the smallstakes forums. lets see. Could the button have called the whole way with 77? what about A7. That might explain the river raise. A slowplayed 44, 55?

Calling the raise seems appropriate. There aren't more cards to come, so you can't improve...
Old 10-05-2005, 12:59 AM

The button probably either rivered a set straight or has A7. Regardless of his holding, he played it badly or called with horrific odds.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:31 AM

I cant think of single hand that makes Buttons play sensible, but would be fairly certain not to see a straight.
If button calls two bets cold on a 4AQ flop with 36 or 68, he is among the 10 worst pokerplayers in the history of man.

I think A7 , probably [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], is the most likely hand, but a slowplayed or rivered set is also an option.

I would expect you to win at least half the time on the river against an unknown, but as stated earlier a 3-bet will win you one bet but cost you two when behind, which in my view makes calling his raise on the river the better play.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:49 AM

Just call the river here. Go for the overcall, as people have already said. As for what he has, I'm guessing 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] - Some people just have to see if they make their flush draw on the turn! Also, he's worth buddylisting simply because he coldcalled two bets preflop and on the flop.

On a more pedantic note, it's "villain". I think I've seen three different spellings on this forum.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:05 PM

for whatever this is worth villian had A4.
Old 10-05-2005, 05:09 PM

I would call hoping to get an overcall from CO (which is likely).