Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 11:36 AM

Default Local Live MTT - Bad Push

Local MTT 42 People
Starting Chips 5k.
Down to 9 (1 out of final table)

Hero (SB) T9400
BB - T3,500
Nemesis (CO - 1) t7000
Villainess - (Button)- t11,300

Nemesis is a very solid player, who tends to dominate whatever table he is at. Smart enough to lay down a big hand and respects my play.

Villainess had been acting the part of newbie all night. Asking people how she should play hands, what was a Royal Flush, etc. But I had noticed that she made solid bets on the flop and turn of a couple of different hands. I do not normally see newbies make those bets correctly sized or timed. I'm not entirely convinced by her act at this point.

I have a TAG image at the table.

Blinds posted (300 / 600)
Folded to Nemesis who raises to 2K.
Villainess Calls from Button
Hero completes

Cards Dealt

10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero dealt Q9o checks
Nemesis Check
Villainess Check

Turn is K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I go all-in

Nemesis folds w/ a pained look.
Villainess calls

turns over KT to bust me out.

I had been playing smart agressive poker all tournament. Trading chip lead w/ Nemesis. I don't know why I thought this was a good place to push at the time. 1 player at the other table busted out 3 a couple of hands back with a Royal and had a sizable chiplead over the field. I was thinking that I wanted to have some more ammo going to the final table.

Obviously, my original call was loose, and the push turned into disaster.

What should I have been thinking at this point? I'm not trying to defend my play as much as trying to get the correct line of thinking at this stage in the tourny?

I realize I've rambled, so please excuse.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Local Live MTT - Bad Push

allrighty then...
Old 07-28-2005, 02:28 PM

Look, I understand it was a trash hand. It was a cold bluff from the start. Well, it least it became that way once I made the horribly loose call. That was not the point of the post. I guess I'm wanting some input regarding what I should be looking to do as far as making moves (not specific to particular cards as much as that particular point in the tournament)

I know this post may be beneath some here, but any input would help. I'm not allergic to critticism. I realize I misplayed the hand badly.

Buehler..Buehler..
Old 07-28-2005, 02:54 PM

Not much to comment on except Fold PF.

Your read on Nemesis was that he was a solid player. He raised 3-4x BB, which was called by Villainess (who may be solid also). You have a very marginal Q9o, out of position, with a short BB still to act.

If not folding PF, you should be checkfolding this all the way. You have nothing on the flop and only 4 outs on the turn for your gutshot. Wait for a better spot.

If your couting on your table image to steal the pot, then maybe pushing PF or a stop-n-go might have worked.

I'm curious why your table was so chip shy. With 42 players starting at 5k chips, the average stack should be 20-25k with 9 players left.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. I agree with your reasoning in regards to the hand, as stated. Should I just be waiting for an opportunity from the button? or just play conservatively until the final table.

As far as the stacks goes. Most of the chips were on the other table, due to consolidation, our previous table had broken becuase of a couple of monster hands knocking a number of people out. To say the chip leader had a comfortable lead would be understating, which I may have.

I don't normally make this play. I was trying to mix things up a little, because although I make it late into tourrnaments and final tables, I usually arrive short stacked and have to play out from underneath it. In retrospect, bad decision, faulty reasoning, bad execution.

But it definitley left a impression on me. I know it made me look weak, after playing well previously. Live and learn, I guess.. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2005, 03:28 PM

Another reason I posted the hand is that this is the type of mistake, or misplayed aggression that I see routinely made and many stacks lost as a result. But these are the hands that no one wants to admit being the one to misplay. A lot of the hands posted tend to self-aggrandizing and pretentious in a "ouch I just sprained my arm patting myself on the back" kind of way.

I am normally a cash game player (some SNG's) just now starting to play tournaments, and I've had some difficulty in adjusting my game. I know I'm not the only one who ruins an otherwise good session, by a bone head play, or one made as knee-jerk impulse. I instantly knew I was in trouble and was reduced to spraying and praying.

Also one thing I failed to mention was that I lost about half my stack calling an all-in to said villainess previously and she had trip ducks.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:41 PM

Well it's certainly been an interesting and evocative conversation with myself. I would like to thank myself and all the little people, without whose contribituion........blah blah blah.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:48 PM

You already know - fold preflop. Your stack is too shallow to be playing hands like this, especially out of position. If you called solely to steal the pot on a good flop, the time to push was on the flop, not the turn. Usually it'll be AJ and AK or something like that and you'll take it down. The K on the turn is a bad card for you. check/fold.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:51 PM

Should I be looking for a 2x up in the next few hands or am I better off hoping to get a strong hand in good position? and fold into the final table otherwise?

Thanks for your reply btw
Old 07-28-2005, 04:03 PM

Just to stir it up, what about the following:

Lots of medium competent male players know how to play against weak/passive females. Jam em with good hands. Jam em with bluffs. Bust em out or reduce them to tiny stacks long before the final table.

But I've seen several home MTTs where GOOD female players have built up huge chip stacks because the guys are trying to do too much. Just because she doesn't have a Y chromosome doesn't mean she isn't pushing with a great hand . . . or slowplaying on a choppy board. If you're blasting chips at her too often without great cards, you're the one who's getting hurt.

I kinda wondered this from the start; and when you mentioned losing the all-in to 222 (a nasty little hand), it seemed like that might be the biggest lesson of the hand.

Would you have pushed against two solid male players?