Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Borg 10/20: In which I get owned by James282

Hand is from the 2+2 gathering a couple of weeks ago. Myself, James282, stheif09, and some rando guy are keeping a 10 game going 4-handed. James is to my right, Josh is to my left, rando guy is between them, and I assume I had been getting out of line. Rando guy just sat down, meaning he wasn't some uber-fish making the game good, and that my table selection blows.

I'm in the BB with A8 of crubs, Josh and RG fold to James who raises, which I assume he does a proportion of the time approaching always. I have position and an ace (which make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when I'm heads-up), so I 3bet and he calls.

The flop comes ace high with rags and I bet when checked to. I get called and we move on to see the 17 of purple horseshoes come on the turn, which I chack behind.

The river is non-scary, meaning there are no 4-straights or 4-flushes, and I still have top pair with a mediocre kicker that plays. James bets as expected, and I raise as planned. He 3bets, and I vomit and pay $20 to hope we split or something because he's making a move here against me like never. He turns over his aces up or whatever and they're way good.

flame away.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:25 AM

Default Re: Borg 10/20: In which I get owned by James282

If you cant spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you're the sucker.

I have a feeling that you were the one making this game good. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

PF, if you know you can't outplay James Post Flop, just call, keep your hand a mystery. I would have raised though as well. Flop fine, Turn, I still bet, get checkraised and pay off a river bet. Oh yeah, BTW, James owns me too.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I get called and we move on to see the 17 of purple horseshoes come on the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

To me this is jibberish... Please explain what this means...
Iīm swedish so I really donīt know what that means...
Old 12-31-2004, 10:03 AM

the turn was a complete blank.

edit: i bet the flop, and he called. then the turn was a blank.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a feeling that you were the one making this game good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was hoping for some randos to show up who didn't know how to play short, but we wound up breaking after ~10 hands or so when RG left and we all went over to 2/4.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn, I still bet, get checkraised and pay off a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I had a much better chance of getting in 2 bets while ahead by checking behind and raising the river than by going bet/bet and giving him two opportunities to fold. I was not overly concerned at the time about being behind or giving free cards.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh yeah, BTW, James owns me too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a distinct feeling that your statement holds true for a very large proportion of poker players. James plays g00t.

edit:
[ QUOTE ]
PF, if you know you can't outplay James Post Flop, just call, keep your hand a mystery.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like ace high and all, but i don't think A8 is strong enough to pull this move with. Also, I would be completely lost post flop not being the aggressor, especially if i flopped 2nd or 3rd pair with the 8, or was playing ace high.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:25 AM

Tell me how often James has to call with a worse hand to make raising the river worthwhile.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

PF, if you know you can't outplay James Post Flop, just call, keep your hand a mystery. I would have raised though as well. Flop fine, Turn, I still bet, get checkraised and pay off a river bet. Oh yeah, BTW, James owns me too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you can't outplay him postflop, that is more of a reason to 3 bet than to just call.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:37 AM

depending on how often he c-r's when ahead/behind and whether or not i pay off, about 2/3's of the time.

yeah, that's not happening. i suck.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:57 PM

To me this is jibberish... Please explain what this means...
Iīm swedish so I really donīt know what that means...

There's a popular breakfast cereal in the US called Lucky Charms. Its advertising is aimed at kids and features a little cartoon leprechaun touting the wonders of the dyed marshmallow shapes that are mixed in with the wheaty part of the cereal. There are green clovers and yellow stars and purple horseshoes and a few others I can't remember cause my mom never let us have sugar cereals.

At some point, it occurred to someone here that you could use "purple horseshoes" as the suit of choice when the suit is irrelevant.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:03 PM

I like everything except for the river raise.

For why, see Dave's post.

Also, you should not play limit games until you learn how to play limit.

scrub