Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 11:12 AM

Default stud high

7 Card Stud High ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (hand converter (use internet explorer))

3rd Street - (1.40 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___calls
Seat 4: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___brings-in ___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___raises
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___calls
Seat 7: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds

4th Street - (4.80 SB)

Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___calls
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___calls

5th Street - (3.90 BB)

Seat 3: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___calls

6th Street - (5.90 BB)

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___checks
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___checks

River - (5.90 BB)

Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___bets
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx ___folds

Total pot: (5.90 BB)

Results:
Total pot $2.95 | Rake $0.10
Old 10-12-2005, 11:15 AM

Default Re: stud high

Why did you check 6th?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:27 AM

I'm glad you asked, because that's what I struggled with when I played this hand. I bet through 5th becuase I think I'm a little ahead, and I want to get heads up. I accomplish that, but I check 6th becuase I don't think I'll get him to fold, and if he hits 2 pair on the river, I'd rather not lose an extra bet. Is that -EV?
Old 10-12-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is that -EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.

You say you bet through 5th because a) you thought you were ahead and b) you wanted to get it heads-up. Technically speaking, you bet a) for value (figuring you had more than 33% pot equity) and b) to increase you pot equity; the latter is possible because you figure to have some fold equity (3-way, you might have, say, 40% pot equity, but after one of them folds you may have 60%).

Now on 6th, things are a bit different, because you don’t think you can get him to fold by betting (e.g., you have no fold equity). But hey, you can still bet for value.
You should bet for value if you think you have more than 50% pot equity (on average; sometimes you will have less, of course, but that doesn’t matter). If you have trouble seeing why you have more than 50% pot equity here, try to put him on a range of hands and run some sims and calculate you average equity. You’ll see that you are ahead (quite possibly way ahead, given that his cards are quite dead).
On a side note, there is another reason to bet here. If you are behind, you’ll most often be behind to two pairs. So, unless your opponent is extremely passive, he will bet if you check and he has two pairs but take the free card if he figures to be behind. But if you just go ahead and bet, he probably won’t raise with two pairs. Bottom line, you make money those many times you are ahead but don’t lose any those few times you are behind. Nice, huh? (Another side note: I would even bet the river unimproved, for exactly the same reasons, and because his cards are quite dead).

Okay, I hope I didn’t confuse you too much. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Feel free to ask questions.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:45 PM

Keep your foot on the gas and bet sixth. Your likely best, but a free card can easily change that. Keep firing.

Jeff
Old 10-12-2005, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I check 6th becuase I don't think I'll get him to fold

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Your likely best, but a free card can easily change that.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

Call me a nit. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-12-2005, 02:13 PM

Thanks for the detailed comments. This kind of thing really helps a new player like myself. This really is the best forum around! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

One question. If I check on 6th and he bets, do I call? As you say, he's probably got 2 pair at that point, but my cards are higher.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:19 PM

Yes. You call 6th and see what the river brings. If you make two pair then you are likely to win. Whether you call the river unimproved is a harder decision, and probably depends on your read on villain...
Old 10-12-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I check on 6th and he bets, do I call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yes you call, but you won't check 6th in the future so it doesn't matter. Call 7th too by the way if you dont improve.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One question. If I check on 6th and he bets, do I call? As you say, he's probably got 2 pair at that point, but my cards are higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. The pot odds justify drawing to jacks up to beat his likely two pairs. If you make jacks up after check-calling 6th, you should probably check-raise.