Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 06:47 AM

Default I think i might just be beating myself up over this one

I'll include my logic throughout here. Opponent is 21/16

Party Poker 30/60 Hold'em (5 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks,

Alright seems his range here is underpairs to my queen, 66 77 88 99 TT JJ, AQ, AK, AJ AT, QQ KK AA. So i check to induce a bluff from the pocket pairs now. I think against some players i should bet to induce a bluffraise. edit: i should def. not bet to induce a bluffraise because most of his range is legit.

<font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, Hero calls.

I'm not sure i like my river call. I'm getting 9:1. He has 58 combinations of pairs or sets that beat me that would most likely always play like this, well apart from the KK AA then decide to raise the flop rather than turn which seems unlikely, yet 30 hands that are worst than me. that's 60:30, if they all bet the river. so for me to break even i need a player crazy enough to bet the river with JJ 77 etc 60:6.67 or 6.67/30 * 100 = 22% of the time; 22% of players with stats of 22/16. Do anyone of them even bet 77 on the river here? Just fold?

Anyhow, this hand is extremely marginal and thus not worth much but i just wanted to clear it up in my head. Comments are welcome.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:32 AM

Default Re: I think i might just be beating myself up over this one

In a full game, I wouldn't have bet anything that you beat on this river. Is he 21/16 in 6 max or full games. If its full games, his range might be a lot wider than you gave him credt for in which case I could justify the river call.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:12 AM

I bet/3bet the flop. I want to know if he can beat my top pair or whether he might be on a draw......

As we know from pattern matching theory, Party disproportionately serves up Aces on the turn which can easily beat us. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2005, 08:56 AM

is this a raise preflop if your opponents at the table are more LAG than usual or if you've been raising a lot lately?
Old 09-16-2005, 09:10 AM

Looks totally standard to me. Your turn play, which I like, baically means you have to call that river because it increases the likelihood he's outright bluffing.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:58 PM

The only part of this hand that I think is questionable is the river. I am assuming this guy bluffs at about the right frequency. In that case, I think you are better off betting the river because you are less of an underdog when you bet and are called than you are when you check and call.

I don't know what to do if you are raised on the river and take this advice for what it is since I nearly lost my shirt in the 30 game.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:10 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I think you're a lot better off doing this than betting at an obvious bluffing card that might even cause him to fold some slightly worse hands. I don't think you can fold the river either
Old 09-16-2005, 02:12 PM

I think you are right with betting the river, even though it's unlikely 99 calls it's unlikely it bets if i check.
Old 09-16-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your turn play, which I like,

[/ QUOTE ]i absolutely hate your turn play here. bet!