Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 04:24 PM

Default Dilemma: Money or Improvement?

I generally two table, which largely eliminates getting a good read on anyone. Maybe some of you can do it, but I can't. It isn't that big of a problem, because it's still plenty profitable to play tight and agressive. I do use PT to get some clue as to what they might be up to, but that's it.

The point is, I think this is really limiting my improvement. The option is to play only one table and really try to sharpen my hand-reading skills. Of course, the cost of that is playing fewer hands per hour, which means fewer bucks in the account. I can't seem to make myself do it.

Anyone else have this problem, and/or a solution?
Old 11-17-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Re: Dilemma: Money or Improvement?

You should be able to get decent reads on people while two-tabling. Keep at it, it'll come. Just focus on the one hand that you can focus on from start to finish, depending on your action whether you are in it or not. Use advance buttons to fold preflop, and keep your attention on the hand going on at the other table.

Playing more hands is good for money and improvement/experience. So play as many tables as you can, as many hands as you can.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:32 PM

How many hands have you played? Are you over or under bankrolled? Or need money for other stuff? etc.
It really depends on you and is nearly impossible to get a general answer here. But if you want to improve I guess 1table, and 2table if you need the cash for moving up(to 1table double the $ or something).

BTW, what limit(s) do you play?
Old 11-17-2005, 04:33 PM

Getting good reads while two-tabling should be easy.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:56 PM

I think single-tabling improves hand-reading, while multi-tabling hones your standard lines.

The decision should be based on your goals, is the money you making anything serious, or is it pocket change to you (as in, are we talking the difference between $1 and $2/hr)?

You can try what Ghazban suggested: dedicate an hour a day to single-tabling and observe EVERY SINGLE HAND. When you're not in a hand, think about why other players do what they do and try to put them on hands. When you are in a hand, have a reason for every play you make.

If you want, you can just open a table and observe the action.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:03 PM

one thing I suggest is that open one table for 10-15 minutes and have a good read on everyone on the table and then add another one. Playing more and it's coming since you inprove your reading efficiency after practising. For example it's enough for me if I see a guy call big bet all the way with mid pair in one hand.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:59 PM

I have about 30,000 hands total in PT, 20,000 of which are at $25 NL. I have recently stepped into the realm of $50 NL. My bankroll is about $1250 or so in my main account. I would say I'm over-rolled for $25, but just about right for $50. Obviously, I'd like to win enough to be able to test the $100 NL waters, and that won't happen as quickly one tabling, but I suspect there is a big jump in skill from $50 NL to $100 NL. That would mean I need to be alot better.

I like the idea of playing 1 table for long enough to get a good read, then adding the 2nd. I guess that way you can concentrate on the known table, and just hope for the best on the other table. I guess I should probably do some dedicated one tabling as well, but maybe that could wait until I'm closer to a $100 NL sized bankroll?

Thanks for the tips.