Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-21-2003, 12:26 AM

Default Man, my game has changed(self critique)

Here's a post I made at least 6 months ago:

Online 3 6

I have AQ spades in LP, 3 limpers before me, I decide to limp. (I can justify it, but flame away if you want). Folds around to BB, who checks. See flop 5 handed.

Flop is

Ks, 10s, Jh, beautiful, I have nut strait, with 4 cards to royal. BB bets out, and I call, I feel a raise here is a huge mistake, with very little concern about getting drawn out on and no reason to limit the field. 4 call.
Turn 9d

This is the best card I could have wished for. Everyone with queens now has a strait, and I will beat them with my higher strait. BB checks, EP bets, I call, wanting to see the texture of the calling. LP calls, SB raises! EP calls, I 3 bet and everyone calls.

River 6s

Now I have the nut flush, and I bet out, all 4 call. 2 players have queens, one has KJ!?

I know that I maximized my profit on this hand, but does anyone raise outright on the turn, with 2 left to call behind? This is one of the rare times when I think a slow play is applicable. Comments on turn call appreciated.

*End Old Post*

I have AQ spades in LP, 3 limpers before me, I decide to limp. (I can justify it, but flame away if you want). Folds around to BB, who checks. See flop 5 handed.

I deserve to be flamed for this play. This is a no-brainer now. Definite raise preflop.

I feel a raise here is a huge mistake, with very little concern about getting drawn out on and no reason to limit the field. 4 call.

There are at least 2 bad things about this part: 1. I didn't raise. 2. My logic for not raising. The fact that raising was used solely to clear the field shows how one sided my game was. Things like raising the flop for deception hadn't really set in yet. Plus I didn't even think about building the pot or that any Q would call.

I call, wanting to see the texture of the calling.

Apparently I was so scared of people folding that I didn't want to raise. This wouldn't be a problem had I raised on earlier streets. Granted I did get 3 bets out of everyone on the turn, that's not something you can bank on.

I know that I maximized my profit on this hand, but does anyone raise outright on the turn, with 2 left to call behind? This is one of the rare times when I think a slow play is applicable.

No, no, no. Just plain wrong.

Reading old 2+2 posts is like watching your golf swing on tape or hearing yourself on an answering machine. I can't imagine what watching one of my old sessions would be like.

Old 03-21-2003, 12:50 AM

Default great post

Thats a great way to improve your play. I have notebooks from years ago with hands I have played.

Good job in recognizing your prior mistakes and correcting them.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:27 AM

Default Re: great post

Thanks MG. The funny thing is, I'll probably be saying the same thing 6 months from now about my play today.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:27 PM

For what it's worth, I think in the original hand you played the turn great, and that your new analysis that you should have raised is not as profitable.

rh
Old 03-21-2003, 01:02 PM

I got lucky. I was hoping that someone was going for a checkraise, but I was more worried about scaring anyone off than strategically planning for a check raise so that I could 3-bet. Once the SB check-raised, I was placed in a great situation. Who knows, maybe the SB would have 3-bet, and I could have capped. It worked out great for me in this instance, but I disagree that I "played" it well. The idea that I could let a hand like KJ see the river for a single bet on both the flop and the turn is very troubling.