Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 07:24 PM

Default need help with TT on TJQ

I didn't feel comfortable with how I played this hand at all. UTG's action made me believe he had AK so I wanted to minimize my losses from this point out, but that may have been incorrect. Is it still incorrect If i intend to call a raise and call the river UI if I'm raised, folding if the turn is raised and then 3-bet before it comes back to me. I'm fairly confident that 3-betting the flop is correct.

Just need some enlightenment about how to play this hand in this situation as well as some other observations on playing TT on a xTJQ board that was raised preflop.

UTG is 25/9.7/1.74 after 200 hands.
Button is 16/5/2 after 50 hands
Poker Network 2/4 (9 handed)

Hero is SB with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

PRE-FLOP

UTG raises, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds.

FLOP (3 handed) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img],6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7 SB)

Hero checks, UTG bets, Button raises, Hero 3-bets, UTG calls, Button calls.

TURN (3 handed) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (7.5 BB)

Hero checks, UTG checks, Button bets, Hero calls, UTG calls.

RIVER (3 handed) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (10.5 BB)

Hero checks with the intention of calling, not thinking of the possibility of UTG betting and Button raising.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:31 PM

Default Re: need help with TT on TJQ

Why didn't you bet the turn? (The only reason to would be to get a sweet-ass check raise in... but that's FPS).

I think the turn is way too early to shut down in this hand. It's only the river that is really scary... encouraging the third player to fold gutshots and such is a good idea on the turn, and I think you are ahead easily often enough to merit a raise on the turn. This is not a good spot to go for overcalls.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:31 PM

Why did you put UTG on only AK? You have to think about a range for your villains, not just one hand.

His range is too wide to give him credit for a better hand. You should bet the turn.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His range is too wide to give him credit for a better hand. You should bet the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like any preflop raising hand is likely to be calling in his spot, with QQ and JJ probably capping and AK waiting for the turn to strike again. I'm still ahead of AA, KK, AQ, AJ, and KQ, so I agree that there's no reason to check this turn.

What's your line on the river if the turn goes bet, call, call. I'd probably bet/call and usually lose if I am infact raised. I see no reason for either player to have a 9.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:45 PM

I would lead the turn and call a raise. AK is possible for UTG, and there are other hands you're losing to (QQ/JJ, for instance), but I don't think we should assume you're behind here. UTG could also have, for instance, AQ, AJ, or KQ, which is 36 combos altogether. (AK/QQ/JJ is 22 combos.) And other hands such as 99 and AA/KK are not out of the question.

The fact that Button is showing interest too is a little bit unfavorable for you, in terms of the number of combos for UTG that you could be ahead of, and Button's hand could cut into your outs somewhat too, if you're behind.

Anyway, though, if I bet the turn and it was two more back to me, I would call. I would figure I was probably behind, but I'd stay in, chasing a boat/quads, hoping I wasn't crushed by QQ/JJ (and also hoping that QJ wasn't out there).

On the river, given the way it sounds like the action went (check, bet, raise), I think you should probably fold. AK seems likely for Button, if he's raising despite the four-straight on the board on the river, and even if by some chance you're ahead of Button, UTG may have a 9 (with, say, 99 or A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]).
Old 09-27-2005, 07:45 PM

Yes, I'd bet/call the river if that happened. A 9 is possible, but not overwhelmingly likely.

Edit: I'd bet/fold though if the action on the river went bet, raise, reraise
Old 09-27-2005, 07:51 PM

So considering my opponents appear somewhat sane, I must 3-bet the flop, lead the turn, if I bet and get 3-bet on the turn, I should call, folding UI on the river, and if I don't get raised on the turn, I bet/call the river?

I like it.

btw. UTG didn't donk the river, but I just wanted to explore every facet of this hand, both the way it played out and the way it could have.

Agreed, if it's ever 2 back to me on the turn or river, I'm most definitely behind, possibly with outs on the turn.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:12 PM

I'm not a huge fan of the check-raise, I don't see why you're driving people out or making them play conservative.