Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-15-2005, 03:13 AM

Default Does Anyone Believe In Psychics Part 2? (must read if you read part 1)

There is absolutely NO PROOF that psychics exist. In fact, if you don't believe me then check out a guy named The Amazing Randi (I think thats his name, but it may be Randi the Magician or something). This guy set out years ago to see if there were any psychics. He has set up many tests and NOT one person has passed. He even says he'll pay anyone $1 million dollars if they can pass one of his tests (it used to be only $10,000 but he's so convinced because nobody ever won the $10,000 that he now offers $1 million). And if you're thinking something like "well psychics don't care as much about money," why wouldn't they just win it to prove that psychics exist, and then give the money to charity. So feel free to offer any questions or comments on the topic.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:07 AM

Default Re: Does Anyone Believe In Psychics Part 2? (must read if you read par

I remember hearing about that. Something about performing in controlled conditions, and his own requirements for proof were very detailed. And something about a long length of time that the test-subject had to be in these controlled conditions and in the good sir's sterile environment. The sir's exact conditions have to be met, and the proof he rquires must be precise and without any distortion. I remember hearing (but who knows if its true) that someone went there and met the challenge but that the good sir didn't cough up the dough, because of some triviality that had no bearing upon the results...
Old 05-15-2005, 12:59 PM

Default Re: Does Anyone Believe In Psychics Part 2? (must read if you read part 1)

It is all spelled out in a book by James Randi (The Amazing Randi) titled: Flim-Flam!Prometheus Books, 1982. Your points are essentially correct. In the mentioned book Randi describes a few people that took him up on his offer. All failed, including some water 'dowsers' using dowsing rods. Randi also gives out an annual "Uri Award" (or did, I don't know if it is still given out) in parapsychology. Flim-Flam! is a good read and I recommend it to anyone interested in human credulity.

-Zeno
Old 05-16-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: Does Anyone Believe In Psychics Part 2? (must read if you read part 1)

Student: "What are you trying to prove here anyway?"

Dr. Peter Venkman: "I'm studying the effects of negative reinforcement on E.S.P. ability."

Student: "The effect? I'll tell you what the effect is, it's pissing me off!"