Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Please Help! 5/10 &10/20 Aggressiveness

I recently moved to 5/10 and if I catch a juicy 10/20 game I sit in it. (10plyr only)

I went on a good 100BB rush over 3 days, then swung back down almost that much over the next 3 days, and now I am back up that much again over the last 3 days. WHEW!

Ok here's my problem. I feel I am getting pushed off hands A LOT! The #1 note I take is if I see someone raise-bluff. The #2 note is if I see someone bluff into the agressor on the turn or river if a scare card comes.

As I go up in limits however the good players bluff more appropriately, so its hard to know when to call them down and when not to. For Example:

TAG limps from mp, I raise with ATo from button, TAG 3 bets, I call.
Flop is Txx no flush. He bets, I raise, he 3bets, I call.
Turn is a J. He bets, I call
River is a blank. He bets, I make a crying call because I am positive he has an overpair, but am tired of being pushed around.

He shows pocket 4's. MHIG...

Ok I'm use to ATM machines playing this way, but not good players.

Another similar hand. Folded to me in the SB and raise with AKo. BB 3 bets (his VPIP 13%). I cap. Flop comes ragged Jxx. I check. He bets. I raise. He 3bets. I check call him down on turn and river blanks. He shows 98o no pair, no draw. MHIG.

Now normally I'd be laying down when someone shows this much aggression in 2/4 or 3/6. It seems to be a regular occurance though at 5/10 and especially 10/20 for people to bet any ace, raise ANY pair, 3 bet top pair ANY kicker, and to raise ANY draw with position for a free card (dang I need to do that more often)

Any guidelines to when I should be ignoring this insanity and showing down my hand no matter what?

Thanks.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:58 PM

Default Re: Please Help! 5/10 &10/20 Aggressiveness

Well Emperor,

I think your post could have been made better if you would have included a few hands you did fold and wondered whether if you should have called.

Maybe no one replies unless there is a Bison corverted hand?

Maybe your post sucks so bad they don't even feel like berating you.

Bump.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:28 PM

I think this is a great question and I'd love to hear some answers myself, since I'm now thinking of dipping my toes in the 5/10 water...So here's another bump for you.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:39 PM

Hey Thanks, We'll see if anyone can help.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:54 PM

One problem is that these hands are so player-specific. Calling anyone down because you're "tired of getting pushed off" is probably bad. Calling down for a reason -- preferably the right reason -- is fine.

I can't offer much help here because I find myself stressing about the same problems a lot. These aren't simple, and so often you find yourself calling down and seeing a better hand.

If you find yourself consistently pushed off by seemingly over-aggro players, this is where I ease off and let them do all the betting they want to do. But stuff like this is really player-specific.

I'm interested to see what others say.

ElSapo
Old 02-05-2005, 09:30 PM

Before I reply:

In what sorts of situations do you feel you're being pushed around? Do you feel like you're being pushed off top pair, or are you having more trouble when you hold a strong second pair-type hand? Or do you feel like you're being semi-bluffed when you hold overcards on a ragged board?

A couple of examples where you folded would help immensely.
Old 02-06-2005, 02:11 PM

Ok Here's a hand..

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

I just call here hoping the blinds will call, I'll make a set, and drag a monster. Terrible?

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero folds, MP1 calls.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks.

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has 8h 8d (one pair, eights).
MP2 has Ac Kh (high card, ace).</font>

Thanks!