Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2005, 04:44 AM

Default 88 sidepot hand

15/30. An extremely LAG player (54/30/1.3 - note: not as aggressive postflop) open-raises from MP, I 3-bet on the Button with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. A shortstack in the SB caps, leaving him with just $4 in chips. The LAG and I call.

Flop 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] SB bets his $4, LAG completes the bet to $15, setting up a sidepot, I call intending to raise any turn <Q and call down otherwise.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:59 AM

Default Re: 88 sidepot hand

Against LAGs, I'd rather just raise the flop and play it strait foward. He may even play back at you even more.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Against LAGs, I'd rather just raise the flop and play it strait foward. He may even play back at you even more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually I do but the sidepot was the main consdieration here.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by this comment?
Old 03-07-2005, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

What do you mean by this comment?

[/ QUOTE ]

with a sidepot, the LAG won't play back with nothing very often, since he can't win the pot by bluffing.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:52 PM

I think raising the flop is good here because even if he thinks he's bluffing he may have quite a few outs against you, so getting him to fold would be okay.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:51 PM

Maybe I'm off-base here. Sidepots confuse me.

My thought was that I should be more inclined than usual to slowplay because the pot is smaller and I'd like to build it ... conversely, the pot is smaller for him, so he's more likely to fold a hand with outs on the turn.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:59 PM

I dont think the sidepot really matters much here. Since you guys both have chips, you are playing for both the main pot and the sidepot. Assuming the all in guy doesnt show down the winner, you could pretend there was no sidepot at all. You and the villian are both competing for all of the money, so I think you should pretty much play your hand accordingly.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:22 PM

i like to think about these a bit differently, nate...and maybe im wrong...

but i usually assume an all-in has a shot against me in the future since he/she sees ALL cards and all streets for the $4 in this case. But, at the moment, i assume the alliner is not ahead of me so if i have a vulnerable hand i want to protect it...

if the lag has undercards to your 8s, then he can draw to a straight...if he has overcards, then he can hit a pair and have you in pretty bad shape...and he can have something like JTo here and those are both cards less than queens that if they hit and you raise could have you in bad shape.

so i like to raise the flop and be happy if he folds thinking he's just playing for the sidepot...i dont care about building a sidepot with a vulnerable middle pair...give me QQ and up and yea i'll wait to pop it...

-Barron
Old 03-07-2005, 04:44 PM

I would think that a player with those stats would not be concerned with the proper play of a side pot. Just look at those numbers! I would assume you have the best hand here against the LAG, and would be trying to get value from him. You cannot control what goes on in the main pot, so I would try to get value from the LAG by raising. He sees 55% of the flops and raises 30% of the time. He will have a lot of hands that 88 beats.

I think raising the turn puts you in a tougher spot, as you dont want to fold to a 3 bet, especially if the turn is a 9/T/J. I think you need to get to the river here(unless an ace comes, possibly). I would raise/cap the flop, and just call down if he continues to show agression.