Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 11:25 AM

Default QQ pre-flop dilemma (20+2 multi tourney)

I have QQ in third position.
The blinds are 25/50.
It's a loose game.
I have 1930 in chips.
9 player table

The player in 2nd position makes a baby bet of 100. With QQ, I want to re-raise and isolate. I re-raise him 400. BB re-raises all in to 1,300. 2nd position player calls 1,300. There is about 3,200 in the pot (give or take 50 chips). I have 900 to call.

Here is my analysis. The benefit is purely mathematical - I'm getting more than 3 to 1 to call and the only two hands that could kill me are KK and AA. But, hell, even if he has KK or AA, my call would still put my odds of winning in the ballpark of my pot odds. From a pot perspective, I think I made a good play.

However, I can't help but to think that from a tourney perspective, my play was decent at best. It's an internet tourney and you want to take an opportunity to double up as soon as possible; here, I have a fair chance to TRIPLE up. Then again, shouldn't I have smelled kings and wouldn't it have been wise to lay this one down?
Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 AM

Default Re: QQ pre-flop dilemma (20+2 multi tourney)

Firstly, wrong board.

Secondly, easy fold

A raise to 300 would have worked as well to isolate instead of raising to 400 (this is a moot point though). However, I don't see how you can call this. I mean the very best scenario is the BB is a donk with JJ and UTG+1 is a donk with AK. However, it is far more likely you are on the ass end of a pair over pair over pair scenario. I just don't see how you can call this man, look at the action. The bb pushed with a raise, and a re-raise infront of him. If you were him what is the minimum holding you would need to do this? Also the original raisers flat call of this raise should have alarms blaring in your head.

The only way I call this is if I know the original raiser was a complete moron and thought the BB was tryiing to buy me out of the pot with a marginal hand (TT/JJ) thinking I was raising to isolate with an even more marginal hand and that I would lay it down.

Easy fold. Also 2:1 pot odds drawing to 20% is no bueno.