Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 10:04 AM

Default Standard semi-bluff? NL100 hand

Party NL100 Hold'Em, Blinds $1/$2

Stacks:
- Hero (Button) $133.15
- Villain (BB) $171

Two players from middle position limp in. On the button, I limp in with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB completes and BB (Villian) checks.

Flop is 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. ($10)

BB leads out for $8.

Folded around to me, I call. I like these types of bellybuster draws, they are very deceptive when you hit and can win big pots.

Turn is the 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. ($26)

BB bets $12. ($38)

I think for awhile and raise to $45. I think most of my outs are clean, as I don't put Villain on a bigger diamond draw here. Pretty sure he has a a pair of Jacks and not much else.

Good play? Should I have just called in hopes of hitting my hand?

I felt that I might be able to steal the pot right there so I took a shot. Curious what others would do here.

j.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Standard semi-bluff? NL100 hand

[ QUOTE ]
Folded around to me, I call. I like these types of bellybuster draws, they are very deceptive when you hit and can win big pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Doyle!

[ QUOTE ]
Good play? Should I have just called in hopes of hitting my hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like it if he's willing to lay down just a pair of jacks here [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

That said - if he has more than a pair of jacks, and choses to reraise you, you will of course call whatever he reraises you as you now have potentially 15 outs, (DBB straight + 4 flush) but you would've made an initial mistake of reopening the betting when he was giving you a great price to draw. So... Against a passive player I like it. Typical 6max party aggression is forefront, so Im not sure.

The thing is if he only has something like a pair of jacks if you hit your hand on the river you probably wont get paid off, and if you miss, you'll regret not winning it on the turn. So I like the semibluff - albeit it's not standard (a turn semibluff)

Actually, it really looks strong, a limp, flop call, turn raise, so well played.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:53 PM

i'd just call here. he's making it nice and cheap for you to draw - in the words of another 2+2'er, why negotiate? you'll also have more $ left behind if you do hit.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd just call here. he's making it nice and cheap for you to draw - in the words of another 2+2'er, why negotiate? you'll also have more $ left behind if you do hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Schwza; I would like a call if he has any reason to suspect he could actually USE the money left behind for the river, but that's not the case... He said he thought BB only had weak pair of jacks, so I dont know how much value he'd ellicit if he made his hand on the river. Although he's being priced in I think the semibluff raise here is the more optimal play...
Old 11-16-2004, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Schwza; I would like a call if he has any reason to suspect he could actually USE the money left behind for the river, but that's not the case... He said he thought BB only had weak pair of jacks, so I dont know how much value he'd ellicit if he made his hand on the river. Although he's being priced in I think the semibluff raise here is the more optimal play...
Old 11-16-2004, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and can win big pots

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I felt that I might be able to steal the pot right there

[/ QUOTE ]

These two statements seem to be mutually exclusive... either he's willing to play a big pot, or he's not.

As for semi-bluffing, it depends on your opponent I guess. Some of them are not going to ever fold to a raise with any pair. Given that he has led out twice he must have something that he likes and trying to make bad players lay down decent hands is suicidal. Against a weak-tight player it's perhaps a better move if they'll fold their weaker holdings. And if they do call the raise then you can be pretty certain that they have a good enough hand to call a pretty large bet if you hit on the river.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I can't be sure on the strength of his jacks, I just knew it was jacks. But since he's in the BB, I'm more prone to think he has a weak kicker and is trying to protect his hand here.

Bobby, I agree with you on the raise. I pondered a call, but I thought I could win the pot right there with a large raise. If he calls my raise (let's say he did hit two pair), then I have a lot of outs (unless he's got a bigger flush draw) against him and he would be almost obligated to call any river bet/raise I make.

I guess this isn't a "standard" semi-bluff, but I recall a semi-bluffing example in Theory of Poker about picking up a flush+straight draw on the turn and IIRC Sklansky points out that it's a great time to semi-bluff even on the turn.

Results: Villain goes into the tank. With about 1 second left on his timer, he folded. Afterwards, he said "argh, what did you have?!", "well, nice bet". So maybe he did have KJ or AJ there, who knows. Nice to know it made him squirm a bit. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2004, 09:22 PM

If youre pretty sure the BB isnt on a flush draw, youve got a lot of bluffing outs. The turn gives you a ton of outs that will probably get paid off. Id probably flat call the turn, and then raise any heart/diamond/straight card on the river.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:49 PM

Players at this level will pay off scare cards way too much. If you're going to bluff-raise, do it early in the hand when you still have outs (and when you can make them consider the possibility of facing more big bets on later streets.) A river bluff-raise against these players is a lot of variance without any decent EV.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:31 AM

Looks standard. Do you ever raise preflop in this situation?