Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 10:48 PM

Default sliding with big slick

Early in a 10 table tourn., I held AKo, with modest stack ($900). Blinds 15-30. After utg called, I raised to $100 in 3rd position, and after 2 callers behind, BB (villain), the chip leader with about $2000, raised to $500. pot=875. After the blinds and utg folded, I called and ended heads-up against BB. pot=1275. stacks: mine $400, his $1500
flop: 864 rainbow.
Then I check-folded after he went all-in. Though I didn't know my opponent that well, I guessed a lower pair (QQ-88) was more likely than AA or KK, and that he might even hold something like AQ, KQs, or AJs. Given these assumptions, which decision was worse, the preflop call or the check-fold on the flop?
Old 09-17-2005, 10:51 PM

Default Re: sliding with big slick

looks like a situation for stop-n-go to me... you have a good hand, you want to get your money in.. but you'd like to be able to win the hand w/o hitting an A or K. You have no fold equity preflop, because he has to call you... but if you just call his raise you're commited to the pot already... so call and push in on any flop.
Old 09-17-2005, 10:53 PM

How can you check-fold the flop if you're in third position, and the villain is the BB?

That also eliminates the stop-n-go possibility.

But I'm guessing the villain was the button, in which case I go all-in pre-flop, guaranteeing you see all five cards and just maybe (although doubtfully) getting him to fold.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:03 PM

push pf. and a stop n go wouldnt work here even if u were first to act on flop because villian would call getting 4 to 1
Old 09-17-2005, 11:07 PM

it has a better chancee of working than pushing preflop..

but i see you point.. like no difference between the two.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
push pf. and a stop n go wouldnt work here even if u were first to act on flop because villian would call getting 4 to 1

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole point of stop and go is to hope villain makes a dumb laydown. Pointing out that the laydown would be dumb doesn't help anyone. If I have 1000 chips, and someone raises to 999, I never push preflop.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole point of stop and go is to hope villain makes a dumb laydown. Pointing out that the laydown would be dumb doesn't help anyone. If I have 1000 chips, and someone raises to 999, I never push preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]ur real smart then
Old 09-18-2005, 01:16 AM

i don't see what you're arguing tom...

there are no positives to your side... and very small positives for what Noah and myself are saying.

the 999 and 1 example is extreme clearly, and will obviously not work.. but in this hand, it definitely could work.

edit: in this hand, there actually is a benifit to pushing, to further discourage the 2 guyys inbetween from also calling. But i dont thin kthat was one of yourp oints.So my argument stands.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:42 PM

You're right! Villain was the button.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:15 PM

I believe this is what you're trying to say:

10-Table Tournament
Blinds 15/30

I'm UTG+2 and dealt AKo.

UTG calls t30, I raise to t100, 2 more callers of t100, Button (who is the current chip leader with t2000) raises to t500, blinds fold (note: I'm confused here because you said the villain was the BB and then you say the blinds fold), UTG folds , I call t500 and everyone else folds.

Pot = t1275

Flop: 864 rainbow

I check-folded after he pushed.

If this is what you're saying, I would re-raise pre-flop all-in. Yes, you have no folding equity. But it's more important to drive out the other two limpers than it is to get the chip leader to fold (which he probably won't for 400 more either pre-flop or on the flop). Calling and folding the flop is by far the worst of any options. Folding would be much better but with the overlay pushing is clearly my favorite line.