Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2005, 11:41 AM

Default AQ - giving me fits

I've been struggling with AQ lately. Not sure if it's just a bad run or I need to evaluate how I'm playing it. I eliminated coldcalls w/ AT and AJ some time ago, against all but the loosest of players, in which case I'm likely 3 betting to get HU. I think the situation I struggle most w/ AQ is an unknown raiser.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.66 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.83 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.83 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 7.83 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Ah Kh (one pair, aces).
Hero has Qh Ac (one pair, aces).
Outcome: UTG wins 7.83 BB. </font>

Here's my thought process. I have no read on EP raiser, but he hasn't acted out of line. I choose not to 3 bet - perhaps this is a mistake, but I've become very timid with this hand. Obviously I like the flop - he leads. Should I raise? I hate the turn card - now I'm losing to AT and AK. Fold here? River check - I make a value bet.

I used to occasionaly run into AK w/ AQ, but now it is happening consistently. Am I playing it wrong preflop? I rarely take it to showdown unimproved and will fold it if it's reraised/capped. Thoughts?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: AQ - giving me fits

I would chose 3 betting then folding over cold calling
Old 04-21-2005, 11:53 AM

Reraise or fold preflop. The blinds coming is not advantageous to your hand. Online against an unknown I lean towards making it three bets. If he has high raising standards, I'd fold. Once the flop comes, I don't mind your line...but it's not cause I fear AK. It's because if he's bluffing with a lower pocket pair you don't want to stop him and if he has a big hand (AK, AA) you save money. Thus ensuring a bet goes in on every street (either from you or him) is optimal. You valuebet the end nice and easy. If he has you beat, so be it.

Jeff
Old 04-21-2005, 12:04 PM

I am not opposed to 3betting AQo, and routinely do w/ AQs. But I think my recent experiences have made me gun shy (last 30k hands or so).

AQ now reminds me of AJ/AT when I moved up limits. AJ/AT used to be a "good" hand. Then I started hitting higher limits, better players and suddenly I realized these hands could get you in trouble. AJ used to be an easy CC, now it's an easy muck preflop to an EP raiser. But it seems way too tight to fold AQ preflop to a raise.

Now if I 3 bet, and he just calls - it will be pretty tough to lay down - no?

I actually don't have a problem with my line on this hand. And perhaps this is my flaw - once that A flops, who is letting this hand go? If I 3 bet preflop and he caps, you would fold this on the flop?
Old 04-21-2005, 12:10 PM

Thats exacty what I was going to suggest. You have position so a reraise preflop works to your advantage if you are already behind in the hand and gives you more info on how strong a hand he has. Since he is utg and more then likely capping the pot I would be looking for a queen high flop and fold the aces.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:13 PM

Your thinking is muddled. If you're pretty confident he would only raise early with AK, AQ or a big pair, your hand should hit the muck. If (as with many online players) his range is larger and might include A9s, a reraise is the best option. If you choose to play, your hand plays better headsup. If he just calls, you will have to play good poker. Obviously if an ace comes you are showing the hand down...so what? You put in one extra small bet pre to give yourself a chance at winning it. If the flop comes ragged, play well and make good decisions.

Also, you shouldn't be "gunshy" with any hand. Just play each hand dealt to you to maximize expectations. It shouldn't matter if you've run bad with AQ. Simply play it properly and forget the past (and note that properly could mean mucking to the preflop raise in the first place).

Also...if caps, you will see a showdown when the ace comes. Don't be results oriented...he'd be as likely to cap with JJ, QQ, KK, etc as he would Ace-big.

Jeff
Old 04-21-2005, 12:15 PM

You must not play in the games if you would advocate folding an ace high flop with position here just b/c your opponent 4-bet preflop. I'm not trying to insult you, but (if I'm reading you correctly) you are giving some very weak tight and bad advice.

Jeff
Old 04-21-2005, 12:16 PM

Read Feeneys Inside the Poker Mind (AQ Test essay). It's also covered in HFAP. You describe an easy fold.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:28 PM

I actually stumbled across that article last week and read it in the bookstore.

You must have one hell of a read to fold AQ on an A high flop in the PP15/30 games.

I tell myself that AQ vs AK on an A high flop doesn't happen very often (the same odds as a set) - so I can't be too afraid. Perhaps it's just a bad run.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:29 PM

The article he's talking about refers to folding AQ preflop to a raise. No one is folding this here headsup after seeing that flop.

Jeff