Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Throwing Away $$ in Early Position

The KQo EP thread spurred me to do some thinking about Early Position and the hand selection I make there.

Firing up Poker Tracker, I took a look at my play, suspecting that since I have LAGish tendencies I probably have wasted some cash.

It turns out that UTG is the position I make the least amount of money (outside of the blinds).

Analysing further I broke out my well-worn copy of SSHE, and took a look at Miller's starting hand recommendations from EP in Tight Games (3-5 players to the flop).

I compiled hands I played in UTG that were outside the scope recommended by SSHE and boy I found some doozies.

98s, low pairs, Axs, and dear lord one 76s!

I re-played the hand in PT, and I got dealt 76s UTG in a hand that was 10 handed, but there were 3 posters! So that was $70 in dead money and I guess that was my justification for limping with 76s. Anyone care to defend that play? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

So I totaled up the money I won from playing hands outside of the recommendations and boy there's quite a leak: -$4,515 over 96k hands.

That's some cold hard facts for you right there and what a wake up call.

For me, when I get a hand like A9s or 44 in EP, there's always a temptation to play. Of course my mind quickly comes up with a million reasons to call the hand (no one will raise THIS time! or I am SOOOO due to hit a set!) and it's easy to be swayed by these false justifications.

Learn from my $4.5k mistake. In EP only play the premium hands, EVEN if you think conditions are right at the table to loosen up your starting hand requirements. In the long run, it's just not +EV regardless of how good you think you are - it's just too tough to overcome the poor position.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Pete
Old 12-25-2004, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Throwing Away $$ in Early Position

Nothing wrong with occasionally playing the 98s or 76s UTG.......IF YOU RAISE with it. but never limp. If you dont understand why quit reading Miller and go back to ToP and HPFAP.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with occasionally playing the 98s or 76s UTG.......IF YOU RAISE with it. but never limp. If you dont understand why quit reading Miller and go back to ToP and HPFAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

This only applies to tough games with observant opponents. In a typical game, you're just throwing money away by doing this.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:17 PM

equal, it was a great idea to start this thread. i am not sure how many will read through the KQo thead. yes, position is very very impt. and while SSH is a great book, as the limits move up, and the games get more aggressive very few hands have a positive expectation up front. people seem to look at their cards, not think about position, aggressive game vs passive (who the players are that are left to act), and DO leak a lot of $ upfront. if they like their cards they play. if the KQ discussion helped you look at your game, that is great. thank you for starting a new post.
Old 12-25-2004, 03:37 PM

as i wrote in the KQo thread, being out of position in every betting round is a very difficult, generally costly thing.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as i wrote in the KQo thread, being out of position in every betting round is a very difficult, generally costly thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, this has nothing to do with KQo. For crying out loud, the guy limped with 76s UTG! Limping with that, 44, 98s, etc. UTG is a serious leak, and I'm glad that he discovered it. Don't equate this with KQo, this doesn't add any extra ammo to your argument.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, this has nothing to do with KQo. For crying out loud, the guy limped with 76s UTG! Limping with that, 44, 98s, etc. UTG is a serious leak, and I'm glad that he discovered it. Don't equate this with KQo, this doesn't add any extra ammo to your argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey just for the record I limped with 76s ONCE in 96k hands! lol - and it was because there was 3 posters in that hand! So please take it easy on me heh.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey just for the record I limped with 76s ONCE in 96k hands! lol - and it was because there was 3 posters in that hand! So please take it easy on me heh.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am, I'm not trying to bash you! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2004, 06:42 PM

wait, so is position important?
Old 12-25-2004, 06:53 PM

Is this the KQo early position thread?