Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Do the tables run through your mind at work...

I have a not so normal job. Im one of the managers of a very large and corporate collection agency. I work at least 55-60 hours a week (on salary of course) I have about 45 people under me, that are annoying as hell and i'ts a pretty high-stress demanding job, with little major financial or personal reward. To be honest I don't enjoy what I do, most days. All I have to look forward to is a really nice promotion....if a posistion comes up in the next few YEARS....arrgh... In the past 6 mo. or so I've improved my game enough to be a getting nice (2.0+) win rate at lower limits, and have a goal to move up consistantly. My life is Work, Poker, Work, Poker...ect.

During the workday I can't help but be sitting at my desk and jotting notes of hands, rake calculations, and occasionally going on here (Don't tell the IT guys!!)

Im getting increasingly annoyed with my job, although the job has been the same for a long time. I keep thinking about how I want to quit and play professionally.(Although there is no possible way to do that with the lmits i'm at.)
I know that poker has started to effect my mood. (lack of normal sleep...being pissed from a losing streak) And on the opposite the job is affecting my game...It's a production based company so end of month makes me pull hair out.

My question is, is there anyone else having this problem, or has anyone found a good way to disasociate poker and work...and vice versa? Any suggestions would be great.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:47 AM

Default Re: Do the tables run through your mind at work...

"I keep thinking about how I want to quit and play professionally."

Playing professionally is a lot harder and more demanding than you think, and will likely be as frusterating as your current job.

"I know that poker has started to effect my mood. (lack of normal sleep...being pissed from a losing streak) And on the opposite the job is affecting my game...It's a production based company so end of month makes me pull hair out."

It sounds like you experience a lot of stress in general and poker may not be helping you. You may have an addiction, and may want to think about seeking some professional advice.

"My question is, is there anyone else having this problem, or has anyone found a good way to disasociate poker and work...and vice versa? Any suggestions would be great."
I've experience this, and the only ways I can think of involve big sacrifices:
<ul type="square">[*]Take a big break from poker and play significantly less after your break is done.[*]Quit poker permanently.[*]Make poker your work; you will never have to disassociate the two again! Thinking about poker is professional development.[/list]
Old 07-26-2005, 02:02 AM

I never plan to play poker as my only source of income....I am taking classes for my appraisals license (I can stay at home and work) It's just hard to focus now on something that I dont plan on continuing to do in the future. Plus I usually take 2-3 days off playing poker every 3 weeks or so. It helps. Until I hit the 1.5BB/100 at the 30/60 I guess I'm kinda stuck...oh well...thanks for the reply.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have about 45 people under me, that are annoying as hell and i'ts a pretty high-stress demanding job, with little major financial or personal reward.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell has poker got to do with anything? Your job sucks, you hate your life and you feel trapped. Give your head a shake and then head for the door. Why do something you hate for a living? Why consider professional poker player as the only good alternative to what you do now?

A collection agency. ChristAllMighty. Get a job as a grave digger. It'll be a step up.