Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 12:28 AM

Default Flush bluff 6-handed

Game is full ring but currently six-handed. SB is a goodish TAG, stats are 19/4.5/2.4 and a solid winner over 650 hands at full ring. He seems a bit on the careful side.
I have been at table for only 11 hands, which is all I have on the
BB, who has table way covered with about $1500.

$4 Big Blind

Preflop: 2 folds, Hero ($417) makes it $14 with 9cTc, player folds, SB ($490) calls, BB folds.

...I'm hoping to play with big stack in position here but he doesn't bite...

Flop ($32 in pot): 8hJh5h -- SB checks, Hero bets $20, SB raises to $40, Hero calls.

...I feel betting $20 here leaves my hand ambiguous and might well take it down if he has nothing also. With the minraise, I felt his hand range was wide, but likely a J or underpair with heart. He could also have a better hand like a set, even a flush, and be trying to get it in on a safe turn. However I believe it's likely that I have live outs to the str8, and bluffing outs with position so I call...

Turn ($112 in pot): Ac -- SB checks, Hero checks.

...I feel like the better made hands (sets, small flush) are way less likely now, but he might have the Ah and be using pot control to get a showdown, or improve and bet...

River ($112 in pot): Kh -- SB checks, Hero bets $65.

...Ok, with this check I think he either 1) has the Ah, or 2) he has a mediocre made hand that now looks terrible with this board. However I'm not sure he would go for a checkraise with the nut flush here given the action. It's too likely I will check my good-but-not-great made hands that I might consider calling a bet with.
If I'm raised or called I fold or lose a moderate amount. At the same time it looks enough like a value bet to fold out 2-pair type hands which cannot contain a heart...

Like it?