Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2005, 01:50 AM

Default omaha vs O8B

i need a book that teaches omaha starting hands and a book just as good if not better written then a two plus two book.I herd ken warrens book is good is this true? And O8b is there a good book on that >? this is not book related but does any one know if u apply odds such as pot and implied odds and outs in other poker like omaha and stud ?
Old 05-06-2005, 03:52 AM

Default Re: omaha vs O8B

Warrens O8 book gives some of the most horrific preflop advice possible. He has you folding hands for one bet which are in the good to premium range. For example: AQT2 (no backup for low) and A2s38 (fold every hand with a 7, 8, or 9 in it).

Anyhow, Zee, Mike C, and SS2 all do a fine job explaining which hands should be played preflop as it not nearly as complicated as it is in holdem.
Old 05-06-2005, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Warrens books gives some of the most horrific advice possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fixed it for you.

I'd say a Warren book sets you back at least 5 months.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:38 PM

Is mike c, mike caro ? And i thought rayzee was an advanced book.So whats a good book thats a begginner/intermediate?
Old 05-06-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is mike c, mike caro ? And i thought rayzee was an advanced book.So whats a good book thats a begginner/intermediate?

[/ QUOTE ]

The first 15 or so pages in zees book are dedicated to beginners strategy which should teach you enough to beat the lower limit games. In terms of pot limit omaha, SS2 has a good section for beginners on PLO. After that id check out ciaffone's Omaha Holdem Poker and Pot Limit and No Limit Poker.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:54 PM

I believe the Mike C. referred to in this thread is Mike Cappelletti (sp?), not Mike Caro. To my knowledge, Caro does not have a book on Omaha/8.

I have only read Zee's book and the Baldwin/Gregorich chapter in SuperSystem 2. Warren, Cappelletti, and Lou Krieger all have beginner 0/8 books. As you can see, Warren's books are flamed. I have not read Cappelletti or Krieger, but I don't think they are mocked as often as Warren.

There are some websites with o/8 info as well. Steve Badger has several articles at http://www.playwinningpoker.com

Annie Duke has some as well: http://www.annieduke.com

Edward Hutchison has his "points" system for ranking omaha/8 hands. I'm sure there are some threads discussing the pros and cons of it-I think it's good to use to get a sense of what the good hands and not-so-good hands are, especially hands that look good but are actually crap.

http://www.homestead.com/ehutchison/OmahaSystem.html
Old 05-06-2005, 08:28 PM

try this