Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 02:11 AM

Default A8o in the SB.

Thoughts on this one appreciated. Still not sure if I like Axo where o <= 10. I fold A2o-A7o routinely.

Anyway, the hand. Two bad EP limpers limp, everyone folds to me in the SB with A8o. I complete.

Flop comes AJT (the T is the T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]) rainbow. I elect to go for a flop checkraise if the LP limper bets, or check/call if BB bets.

It gets checked through.

Turn comes 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet. All call.

River comes 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I bet. BB calls, EP raises, other EP folds. I fold.

Comments?
Old 11-29-2004, 02:14 AM

Default Re: A8o in the SB.

Seems reasonable to me. Probably a good argument for just betting the flop. But its nice to be able to see what develops.

The poker gods looked down on you and said..... Lets just screw up this hand for Entity.

So let it be written, so let it be done.

Oh and A8o is my cutoff for the SB.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:21 AM

I will sometimes play A8o from the SB. I only continue the hand if I flop an ace. I usually slowplay the hand and come alive on the river (right out of HEFAP). I find it saves me when someone has a better ace, and my river bet gets paid when someone has something worse.

Flop check is good. You have to get involved and bet the turn. River bet/fold looks good to me. The pot isn't so big that you have to look this guy up.

Brad
Old 11-29-2004, 02:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thoughts on this one appreciated. Still not sure if I like Axo where o <= 10. I fold A2o-A7o routinely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm staying away from most of those hands for now, but that's a future project that I'd like to look into. I can believe that you can outplay most opposition at these levels well enough to make AT (I limp this now) and A9 (I fold this now) profitable, and the cutoff lies either at A8 or A7. But these are just guesses.

[ QUOTE ]
I elect to go for a flop checkraise if the LP limper bets, or check/call if BB bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

You say the limpers are bad, but how bad? Will they check-call two pair for fear of a straight? Will they bet/raise with K7 for the gutshot?

Without any specific information about their postflop play, I think I agree with your play here.

I'm curious about the reasoning for the river fold. I doubt you've got him on the backdoor flush draw, so I'm guessing that you suspect two pair or oddly played straight. I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to fold there, but it's close either way (10:1 is right about where I start to make loose calls on the river because of strange plays).

I don't know why, but this play reminds me of a particular peculiar character I ran into a month ago. He would call with absolute garbage and put in a river raise on the random brick that fell. Against this player, I'd put him on 92s (obviously!).
Old 11-29-2004, 02:15 PM

Bump. El standardo?
Old 11-29-2004, 02:32 PM

Looks ok, i would probably just bet the flop, but if the table has been aggresive enough the checkraise is good, especially cause your hand is fairly easy to getrid of if things go south.

My cutoff is A9o, but its completely aribitrary.

peace

john nickle
Old 11-29-2004, 02:38 PM

This pot looks big enough to call 1 more river bet. it's close though
Old 11-29-2004, 04:38 PM

Fold is good. This is the same as that QJ clubs hand. I complete ANY Ax at loose passive tables and a 1-2 blind structure.

-DeathDonkey
Old 11-29-2004, 04:49 PM

I fold A8o in SB. Even if you flop an ace, You have a bad kicker and bad position, this is the worst kind of hand to slowplay. I bet the flop since I'm in there.
Old 11-29-2004, 04:53 PM

What kind of bad player is he? If it's a fish or one of the other passive types, then I think folding is ok. If he's a Tazmanian Devil (using Bison's PT ratings) I'll call because those guys like to raise for fun. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I think I call too much from the SB with Axo, thanx for the post. I only have a few hands for you on PT but your stats are very strong.