Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2005, 03:16 AM

Default Video card for external monitors: Ins 9300

I'm considering getting the Inspiron 9300 and using it for my desktop as well. I have two 2001 FPs that I want to be able to connect to it. I'm assuming this is possible. Any suggestions on video cards? Dell offers an upgrade to the 256MB NVIDA® GeForce™ Go 6800. As far as I can tell, this doesn't have dual DVI outputs.

Thanks, colson10
Old 04-06-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Video card for external monitors: Ins 9300

No it doesn't have dual-dvi, I'm typing on one right now. However, it does have dual outputs. One DVI and one VGA.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:57 PM

Buster,

So do you recommend upgrading to this card for two 2001 FPs, or a different card? How much of a difference will dual DVI outputs make in comparison to one DVI and one VGA

thx, colson10
Old 04-06-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No it doesn't have dual-dvi, I'm typing on one right now. However, it does have dual outputs. One DVI and one VGA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you get VGA to DVI converter? That would be able to work.
Old 04-06-2005, 05:21 PM

The output not existing isn't the problem, the 2001FP's have inputs for VGA and DVI, so the card will work fine. Personally, I can't stand looking at one DVI and one VGA, the VGA is so much darker and blurrier in comparison, it is VERY noticible to me, but I spend ~8 hours a day on my computer. I recommend looking for either a dual DVI card, or what I have done is just used a nice AGP card w/ 1 DVI output and got a cheap PCI card w/ a DVI output to run the second one. Hope this helps a bit.

-Arthur
Old 04-06-2005, 05:41 PM

ArthurD,

Thanks for the advice. This is what I was curious about, if the quality is going to be noticably different with one of each of the outputs. So can I upgrade to the GeForce 6800 and then buy a PCI with a DVI output, or do I have to buy a different card with only one DVI output and no VGA output for the PCI to be compatible? What card models do you have or recommend?

thx again
Old 04-06-2005, 05:43 PM

Also, what's installation like for videocards in laptops? Is this something I can do myself?
Old 04-06-2005, 06:41 PM

Card installation on a laptop is NOT something I recommend for anyone. Since we're talking laptop here, you don't even have PC slots, you do have PCMCIA slots, though, but thats not a great alternative. If I were you, I'd look for either A) A cheap desktop to play poker on (My relatively top of the line computer cost me $450 off NewEgg) or B) A single video card. I really feel like you won't be able to install a second video card, if there is even one made that will be compatible. If there is, it's not very cost effective, though IMO niether is upgrading to a good card that has dual DVI outs. I really just think that a laptop isn't mean for the use you want it to do, but thats my opinion.

Good luck, let me know if you have any more questions I'll be glad to help. Sorry if this brought bad news.

-Arthur
Old 04-06-2005, 07:24 PM

Taking a look at Multi-Monitor Guide - Laptops there appears to be a few options to connect dual (or more) monitors to a laptop. A lot of these products look pretty expensive (close to $1000) for what they do. With a little searching you may be able to find something more reasonably priced.

Is there a docking station for the Inspiron 9300 with a PCI slot? That may be the simpliest solution.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:09 PM

I talked to Dell support and they said it isn't possible to have a dual DVI output videocard installed. They said there won't be too much of a difference in quality from the VGA compared to the DVI. Anyone have any experience with this specific situation with 2001 FPs? Is it that bad?