Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should I go mudsliding
Yes 12 37.50%
No 2 6.25%
The fact you're even asking this question suggests you are not straight and wish to never get laid again. 18 56.25%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Help me pick out a new computer

Sup bros,

Right now, I play using a Gateway solo 9550 laptop, circa 2001. considering it's only my second computer (didn't use em at all till college) it's definitely serviceable.

However, now that I play poker and have a bankroll, I'm considering a new comp as a poker investment. (I wouldn't buy one just to surf the net and talk on IM with, and I don't play PC games)

- my screen is breaking, slowly. it creaks and cracks when I open it, and it doesn't stay open very well.
- max resolution of 1024/768 = boooo....
- battery is failing, so I can't even take it to the crapper anymore
- it runs fairly slow, especially compared to my work PC. this is a small problem for PT + 1 tables playing + 7 tables datamining + AIM + IE
- I will eventually want to 4 table again.

So, my question to you internet poker players out there,

Laptop or desktop? each has obvious advantages, the desktop can hook up a 2001FP, will have much better performance for the price, and will give me the ability to add a second monitor to surf/use pt with. the laptop is portable, and I have wireless internet in my apartment. and I like panera sandwiches, and they have wireless internet in their stores.

what do you all use, and how has it treated you? anyone recently buy a computer and want to share their experience?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Help me pick out a new computer

Definitely a laptop. Think about all the different places in your house that you play poker using your current laptop. Are you willing to give that up and get a desktop?

SamJack
Old 03-02-2005, 03:35 PM

DMB,
I used to use a laptop, and built a new desktop for (basically) poker. No more lag w/ PT/GT+/multi-tabling, and the ability to easily hook up mult-monitors (which is kind of a pain w/ a laptop).

Seeing as you already have a laptop, I would def. buy a desktop. You can use your current laptop at Panera, and your new desktop/monitor for multi-tabling at home.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
DMB,
I used to use a laptop, and built a new desktop for (basically) poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've looked into this, oneegg.com?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:42 PM

I guess it boils down to what's more important to you portability or better price/performance ratio. I'd go with a a desktop though just because portability isn't something that's important to me.

My girlfriend just dropped like $1K on a brand new Dell laptop with a 2.2 GHz Celeron, 512 MB ram, 40 GB HD, 15" screen, etc. I could take that same $1K with a PC and build a good gaming computer myself, or at the very least a decent internet PC with those same specs and a 2001FP.

Why not build a new PC and tote the old laptop around?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DMB,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

newegg.com. If you're computer savvy at all, or have ever put together something before you should be able to build a PC. It's really just like putting a puzzle together, and you only need a screwdriver. I built my current one back in August 2003. It was a top of the line gaming computer when I built it for around $800. At the same token, after shopping around on several other sites (Dell and Alienware), I customized the exact PC for around $2500.

Depending on what you go with, you can save yourself a lot by building (if you're going with higher end parts). But if you just need something to surf the internet on and play poker you're probably better off going with one of the low end Dell systems (hard to beat).
Old 03-02-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DMB,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

newegg.com is a great place for shopping for PC components.

I would recommend building one over buying one new. After rebates, I spent about $250, on a PC that would have cost me $500 from Dell. Plus I bought only what I needed, and spent $ on what was important to me.

The only downside is that you need access to software, or else you'll pay a lot for it. I have an old copy of W2K and Office 2k I installed, which helped out a lot.

You basically need to spend some time figuring out what you want, ordering compatible parts, putting it together, and cross your fingers when you hit "power".

This was the first time I've ever built a computer, and I'm basically a moron [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
DMB,

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

newegg.com. If you're computer savvy at all, or have ever put together something before you should be able to build a PC. It's really just like putting a puzzle together, and you only need a screwdriver. I built my current one back in August 2003. It was a top of the line gaming computer when I built it for around $800. At the same token, after shopping around on several other sites (Dell and Alienware), I customized the exact PC for around $2500.

Depending on what you go with, you can save yourself a lot by building (if you're going with higher end parts). But if you just need something to surf the internet on and play poker you're probably better off going with one of the low end Dell systems (hard to beat).

[/ QUOTE ]

newegg! I knew it was something-egg.